Finch

calamity507

Featured Posts

Sorry Tony, you obviously only read the bits of the posts you want to:

xgOnl7o54no04SNrU1WV55t13ERSpG0T0280.jpg

THIS WAS MY HOME!!

Is that a bit clearer for you?

Carlt,

You could be right and I apologise for the loss of your home etc. I have not ,and hopefully will never have to go through that . I sincerely hope you have or do eventually get over it if it is possble to do so. We have been burgled a couple of times and it leeves a terrible taste in your mouth ,for ever. Sorry if I upset you or brought back painfull memories.

But I am afraid I still have to rest my case regarding Finch and his sort making decent peoples lives a misery, and the sooner we get back to a justice system where punishment fits the crime and we get rid of those silly do gooder attitudes of people (some of who come on this forum and talk rubbish),the better society will be.

This is the last word on the subject as far as I am concerned

Tony

That would be a shame, because not only would you have beaten up an old wino with some serious issues, but it would also be you who would be in real danger of spending time in pokey and that's if you won the fight. Personally even if he's seriously unfit, and a bit mental, I wouldn't attack someone who i knew at one point had been trained to kill people in a very efficient manner, even small animals can cause damage to a human when cornered.

Well said.

Carlt,

You could be right and I apologise for the loss of your home etc. I have not ,and hopefully will never have to go through that . I sincerely hope you have or do eventually get over it if it is possble to do so. We have been burgled a couple of times and it leeves a terrible taste in your mouth ,for ever. Sorry if I upset you or brought back painfull memories.

But I am afraid I still have to rest my case regarding Finch and his sort making decent peoples lives a misery, and the sooner we get back to a justice system where punishment fits the crime and we get rid of those silly do gooder attitudes of people (some of who come on this forum and talk rubbish),the better society will be.

This is the last word on the subject as far as I am concerned

Tony

No apology necessary Tony

Different viewpoints are what makes this forum so good.

I was in Matlock when my friend rang to say Usk was alight.

My first thought was, knowing he was about, that Finch was squatting the boat and had inadvertently set Usk, and himself, on fire.

I was very relieved when I was told later that two kids were seen running away from the boat.

Whilst they'll never get on my christmas card list, I wouldn't wish them dead.

I think most of us are in agreement that what Finch does is unacceptable, but putting him away for the cold snap isn't going to do him, or the boaters any good.

If prison is no punishment, for him, and doesn't provide any chance of rehabilitation, then what's the point? If giving the man help to integrate a bit more means less boaters broken into, then isn't that better?

Sticking wanted posters up everywhere and writing ridiculous faction novellas about him is only massaging the man's ego. If he wanted to achieve notoriety then he's succeeded, ironically, with the help of his harshest critics.

No apology necessary Tony

Different viewpoints are what makes this forum so good.

I was in Matlock when my friend rang to say Usk was alight.

My first thought was, knowing he was about, that Finch was squatting the boat and had inadvertently set Usk, and himself, on fire.

I was very relieved when I was told later that two kids were seen running away from the boat.

Whilst they'll never get on my christmas card list, I wouldn't wish them dead.

I think most of us are in agreement that what Finch does is unacceptable, but putting him away for the cold snap isn't going to do him, or the boaters any good.

If prison is no punishment, for him, and doesn't provide any chance of rehabilitation, then what's the point? If giving the man help to integrate a bit more means less boaters broken into, then isn't that better?

Sticking wanted posters up everywhere and writing ridiculous faction novellas about him is only massaging the man's ego. If he wanted to achieve notoriety then he's succeeded, ironically, with the help of his harshest critics.

Thanks for the explanation. I wish you well .Take care.

Tony

• 2 months later...

From what you all say about him, I think I've just had him visit my boat.

Got there Wednesday, and thought the mat looked strange, but put it down to a very crazy swan nesting close by.

Got my keys out and then realised there was no padlock to undo - twisted off with the eye bit.

I think the chap had put the mat there to keep the door shut.

The boat was neat and tidy with a few items used or missing. Door has a little gouge in it, a favourite biscuit tin, a screwdriver, some food and all my electricity gone. (Thank goodness I've just had a new alternator fitted!) He got into turn on the electricity through the engine hatch inside the boat.

As our boat is very little, the cupboards are crammed full, and his rummaging has loosened a water hose, which flew off later in the day filling the cupboard with water before I realised what the noise was.

All in all, as people have said it could have been worse, but it still shook me up. I told the police who were helpful, and a BW chap who was passing who told me they'd been told a Mr. Finch was in the area.

My boat is on the Southern part of the Stratford Canal (now mended and secure!!) in case any of you have your boats in that area. Pm me if you want the exact spot where it took place - boat's not there now though.

There was a time when some houses on the edge of villages were tramp friendly, I even had one untill it was burnt down. The new occupiers/thieves don't continue these traditions, for that would devalue the property somewhat. I'ts a shame that you are the scum of society if you keep these traditions alive, and consequently destroyed and exiled. To be honest I think it's a shame the traditions have been lost, as it would have been that these houses should now be sold with this as part of their deeds, and thus be a step towards providing decent affordable housing. And somewhere else for the likes of Finch to go. I am now always worried for "my" tramps on cold winter nights, and who knows where these types go, as like many of us, they are too proud (or wierd!)to claim benefits or anything like that, and I'm certain they'd be beaten up if they stopped there now!

• 9 months later...

Hi all,

Thought I should let you know to check your boat if you're moored in the Cheshire/North Staffs part of the network.

Anyone know where our friend Mr Finch is at the moment? We had our boat broken into sometime during the last 2 weeks on the south end of the Maccy canal - and looks like at least another 1 on our off-side linear moorings.

I'm guessing it's him due to the fact it took my parents at least an hour to realise that it had actually been broken into, because it was left so tidy! Just a few bottles of lager and a part bottle of Baileys gone. The food cupboard had been delved into and the cornflakes packet left out on the sink. Theres no other damage or missing items. There was a small amount of money in coins on a shelf, and a rechargeable tool left on the boat, all of which were untouched.

Looks like whoever got in had first unzipped the cratch cover, couldn't force the front door padlock off, and then carefully zipped the cover closed and even refitted the pop-studs - don't think your average burglar would be that careful. The breakin was actually through the side doors that were, admittedly, rather poorly secured.

At the end of the day it's a bit annoying, but at least no serious damage was done, and it's prompted me to make a better job of securing the side doors!

We've informed the Police who surprisingly have been very interested, and our landlord. Maybe the coppers are already on the case of similar breakins around the Cheshire/North Staffs area???

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited by hnb2907

This is a fascinating thread, which I have only just discovered. I understand that this man Finch is a homeless ex-serviceman who breaks into people's boats in a rather neat fashion, polarising opinions in his wake. But as the thread is called "Finch again" I guess some of his previous history must be known to other forum members, but not to me. Perhaps someone could bring me up to date with his earlier history?

This is a fascinating thread, which I have only just discovered. I understand that this man Finch is a homeless ex-serviceman who breaks into people's boats in a rather neat fashion, polarising opinions in his wake. But as the thread is called "Finch again" I guess some of his previous history must be known to other forum members, but not to me. Perhaps someone could bring me up to date with his earlier history?

http://home.freeuk.com/braunston/Braunston/Finch/Finch1.htm

History here.

This is not history.

It is fiction (and not very good fiction, either).

:lol: Oops, I actually read it as well, must have missed something somewhere. Was the listing and dates of the sentencing fictional too?

I'm more gullable than I thought!

Eh, I must be losing it. :lol:

Edited to add. Carl, what is the full story of this charactor, I'm not at all sure what to believe now, I have a certain amount of sympathy for him because of what appears to have been a traumatic past and a let down by the forces. However he hasn't broken into my boat, so not sure how I'd react, but, if my boat was going to be broken into, I have a feeling I would prefer him to others, who just do it to vandalise.

John

Edited by johnjo

:lol: Oops, I actually read it as well, must have missed something somewhere. Was the listing and dates of the sentencing fictional too?

I'm more gullable than I thought!

Eh, I must be losing it. :lol:

No it is chronologically correct but written as a work of fiction.

No it is chronologically correct but written as a work of fiction.

So is the bit about his elephantine memory correct and the list of crimes also?

BTW, not trying to make an argument here just attempting to get a truer picture. In years to come whatever anyones opinion of him, he WILL be classed as a charactor infamous or otherwise.

John

PS Carl see my previous edit.

Edited by johnjo

So is the bit about his elephantine memory correct and the list of crimes also?

BTW, not trying to make an argument here just attempting to get a truer picture. In years to come whatever anyones opinion of him, he WILL be classed as a charactor infamous or otherwise.

John

I've never attempted to test his memory so can't answer that.

I suspect that many of the crimes he held his hand up to were the usual list of "taken into consideration" offences, that seasoned criminals admit to, to help the police clear up rate and so get a bit of leniency.

I knew one person who copied Finch's tactics, in the Braunston area, and beyond, and suspect a couple of others.

The number of incidents, credited to Finch, in Braunston, fell, not because of the wanted posters the zealots pinned up, in the area but because the Post Office put up cctv cameras, overlooking the superbrew shelf, forcing one of his copy cats to leave the area (I believe there is a thread, remarking on "Finch" leaving the area, on here, coinciding with this event).

Edited by carlt