Pubs on Llangollen

kerching

Featured Posts

One that isn't there any more is the Waggoners at Whixall; it burnt down last week.

The Willeymoor at the same-named lock is usually well-recommended.

The Dusty Miller at Wrenbury is quite good, but be prepared to take out a mortgage if you want a bottle of wine (why do potentially good eating places spoil it by charging £17 or £18 for a very basic bottle of plonk?). The Cotton Arms across the road is more reasonable and less pretentious.

The pub at Grindley Brook has very mixed reports; we had a reasonable pub meal there a couple of years ago - some people say it's good, others can't stand it.

The Swan at Marbury is excellent, although a half mile walk from the canal. Their two course lunch for a fiver is excellent value (the smoked salmon starter would be at least £5 anywhere else on its own). Similarly the Farmers Arms at Ravensmoor is a 10 minute walk across the fields but the food is good - you will need to book on Fridays & weekends unless you don't mind eating later (8:30ish) - it's usually full at 7 - 7:30.

Others know the pubs further up better than me.

Edited by dor

I too can recommend the Cotton Arms at Wenbury, log fires and really good food last time we were there, lamb shanks on creamy mash delicious, would have stopped there this year but needed to turn (we had planned to turn at the boatyard but a boat was in the way!!)

Also recommend the curry house in Ellesmere and the Sun Trevor by bridge 41, I would book if it is at the weekend as it was very busy when we were there last September (07).

Julie

Definitely the Cotton Arms - top tucker.

Horse & Jockey at Grindley Brook was good last time we went in summer 06. Very friendly and a damn good meal.

If you get the chance, also try the Steak Pie at the Telford Arms just over the Ponty. Not the best pub to sit in, but if it's a nice day, plenty of room outside.

Where ever you drop in, have a good time. Fantastic waterway.

We called in at the Horse & Jockey at G-Brook. The staff are very friendly and the beer was on top form. The food was a bit 'freezery' but a lovely garden for the kids.

We didn't make it to the Swan at Marbury but heard excellent reports.

The Dusty Miller was a firm fave until we called last year to part with a week's pay for an average meal.

Had a pint at Willey Moor Lock and saw Pete Postlethwaite - usual non-boater friendly attitude but nice beer.

We will be spending a week cruising the Llangollen shortly. Can anyone recommend some descent pubs with moorings close by. As one of our crew is knocking on a bit and a long walk is out of the question plus i don,t fancy a BLOODOOSH! on the way back. Thanks.

:o;)

Getting in to Llangollen can be fun as it is narrow. One boat only. We always moor by Sun Trevor (good food and beer), get up early the next day and wait for the first early mover boats to come out checking the length then get on the move. That way you know there is probably a mooring. In Llangolllen there is a good pub (dont remember the name sorry) go to the top of the nain road and turn left, when you think you have gone too far go on a bit more.

P

How could I forget the Corn Mill at Llangollen (well probably because I have not boated to Llangollen and only mentally tracked my cruise up the canal !!)

This is a fabulous pub and as a result won 'Wales Dining Pub of the Year'

http://www.brunningandprice.co.uk/pub10_1.html

We called at the Sun at Trevor last year and it was a 'Slaughtered Lamb' moment - thank heavens we scarpered and found the Cornmill.

Depends what you are into -

The Lion Quays Hotel has absolutely excellent moorings right outside. It is a big modern hotel, but I liked it.

The Bryn Howell is between Trevor and Llangollen and is very nice, upmarket expensive but a good standard. - towpath mooring with a short walk but the surface is good.

I cant remember the name now, but there very good moorings outside this pub. It about an hour from Chirk Marina, Llangollen side, big kids playground in the canalside garden. (the name is something to do with a Poacher - good food too)

There are lots of good places in Lllangollen, Sarah Ponsonby, the Corn Mill etc. A good indian restaurant out on the main road too. The walk down into town is very steep. You might want to walk down and get a taxi back up.

Edited by WJM

The Lion Quays Hotel has absolutely excellent moorings right outside. It is a big modern hotel, but I liked it.

The moorings are good but we had a very mediocre meal when we stopped there 2 years ago.

It's quite difficult to leave the moorings forwards (if you've reversed in as we did, to get on and off at the stern) and turn towards Llangollen against the stream

I cant remember the name now, but there very good moorings outside this pub. It about an hour from Chirk Marina, Llangollen side, big kids playground in the canalside garden. (the name is something to do with a Poacher - good food too)

That might be the Poachers Pocket, but this is before Chirk Marina as you head towards Llangollen.

The moorings are good but we had a very mediocre meal when we stopped there 2 years ago.

I've been told by several people who have worked at the Lion Quays that a lot of the food is bought in as prepared catering packs and simply microwaved.

At Maestermyn there's the Narrowboat, family friendly [noisy!] and the food is OK but I had a steak and kidney pie there that looked microwaved but tasted fine. The Jack Mytton is worth a visit and just a mile further than Maestermyn.

If you don't mind a hike or short taxi ride then Ye Olde Boote in Whittington is excellent, if you can't get in there then The White Lion 100 yards away is supposed to be good too.

Ric.

Edit to add: The castle at Whittington has had a lot of work done on it in 2007 and is now well worth a visit if you like history, there's some well drawn displays showing how the castle has evolved over the years, and a tea room too. The castle is right across the road from Ye Olde Boote Inn and next door to The White Lion, there's a chip shop around the corner and a kebab/burger place opposite that.

Edited by Ricardo

The Jack Mytton at bridge 11 , Hindford has plenty of space to moor but does tend to get busy , particularly when we used to tell all the new Canaltime hirers to go there on the first night !

the Poachers Pocket IIRC

Dave

beaten to it while typing again!

Edited by dcruk

Poachers Pocket - thats the one.

Funny the way people recommend pubs without qualifying their advice. Some people love quaint old family run pubs, others hate them. Big modern chain establishments really do it for some, others wouldn't been seen dead in them. A simple 'Thats a great pub' does not tell the enquirer anything - it is not much more use than a dot on the map!

Oh and the canalside Happy Eater beside Lion Quays is closed now.

I have just left Wrenbury after 10 days and would recomend The Cotton Arms for good value The Dusty Miller is over priced both for food and drink.

The Willeymoor Lock Tavern is my fav on the canal great food well priced and still family run very friendly been in the same family for over 30 years but be warned do not take credit cards cash or cheque only.

Market Inn great place to drink unfortunatly no food.

Thomas Telford in Trevor very good and would agree on the Steak Pie!!

We spent the night moored just up from the Willeymoor and the dinner was good.

A walk into Marbury is also recommended if the weather is kind.

I think we went and had dinner in the Swan, but it was a few years back and my memory is dimming.

Note to myself: why don't I put these things in the log - much more useful than distance run.

Ellesmere, the town is missable. Its much nicer to moor up near Blake Mere and eat onboard.