How Old is your Boat

gralyn

Featured Posts

What the the start date for a boats age?

1. Base plate first laid down.

2. Completion of shell.

3. Completion of Fit out.

4. Date the boat was firts placed in the water.

5. Date the boat was first registered with the Navigation Authority.

From what I have read there can be several years between each of the above. So what is a boat's birthday?.

What the the start date for a boats age?

1. Base plate first laid down.

2. Completion of shell.

3. Completion of Fit out.

4. Date the boat was firts placed in the water.

5. Date the boat was first registered with the Navigation Authority.

From what I have read there can be several years between each of the above. So what is a boat's birthday?.

Baldock was Registered for Accomodation purposes on 31st Dec 1936 at Coventry we take that as the *birthday*

mind you we also know she came out of Harland and Woolfs yard well before that and had cargo on the way to Coventry

I've always gone on launch date, being lucky enough to have mainly had boats that were launched, rather than craned in.

I've been unable to establish the lifeboat's launch date (though I'm waiting for the RNLI to provide details of commission, launch and shout dates.) so, at the moment I have taken her 'birthday' as date entered service.

Just for comparison, ships have a keel laid date, a launch date and the date they are handed over to their owners by the shipyard. This is usually directly connected to large stage payments.

Not that different to narrowboats except a medium sized bulk carrier costs USD35m