hitch - no hitch

curzons246

Featured Posts

I've just been watching narrow boat afloat - they show a boat hitched to the lock gate - the boat reverses pulls open the gate, sails through and the rope falls from the gate - all the captin gives away is that when pulled its a hitch and when the boat passes through it's no longer a hitch and so can be collected without having to untie it - can any one share the knowledge with me please?

• 2 weeks later...

Its not a knot but you trap one end of the line so that when you reverse the line from the towing mast traps the line and pulls the gate open and when it goes slack as you exit the lock it all comes loose and the line pulls away with you. The gate rails on the the G.U. were or still are shaped the way they are for this reason.

Its not a knot but you trap one end of the line so that when you reverse the line from the towing mast traps the line and pulls the gate open and when it goes slack as you exit the lock it all comes loose and the line pulls away with you. The gate rails on the the G.U. were or still are shaped the way they are for this reason.

Welome to the Forum Barry.

The practice of placing swan neck shaped rails on the bottom gates was not univesal, for example several locks on the Braunston flight did not have tham. It was still possible to thumbline on them but you had to wait until the water level had dropped a bit, and it sometimes needed two people to stop the line from slipping over the top of the rail.

I am, sure if we ask nicely Alan Fincher will dig out some old photos of it being done on straight siderd rails.

Edited by David Schweizer

The practice of placing swan neck shaped rails on the bottom gates was not univesal, for example several locks on the Braunston flight did not have tham. It was still possible to thumbline on them but you had to wait until the water level had dropped a bit, and it sometimes needed two people to stop the line from slipping over the top of the rail.

Yes, it works just the same on those type rails too. Never needed the second man in my experience either. A few are now getting hand rails at both sided of the catwalk. These seem to make the procedure somewhat more risky.

Yes, it works just the same on those type rails too. Never needed the second man in my experience either. A few are now getting hand rails at both sided of the catwalk. These seem to make the procedure somewhat more risky.

I agree. In most cases we had no problem especially as we took the thumbline from the front stud rather than the towing post. but some of the bigger Town Class working boats did have to be careful if using thumblining when empty in a shallow lock, as the towing post top could be significantly higher than the hand rail.

Basically a slip knot pull one way it holds tight, pull the other it goes loose. Thumblining is very simple in principle but it takes some practice to get it right, due to the varying depths of locks. Also nowadays there are lots of odd bolts sticking out from lockgates which can foul the free release of thumblines and one has to be very careful to check the line comes free.

• 1 month later...
Basically a slip knot pull one way it holds tight, pull the other it goes loose. Thumblining is very simple in principle but it takes some practice to get it right, due to the varying depths of locks. Also nowadays there are lots of odd bolts sticking out from lockgates which can foul the free release of thumblines and one has to be very careful to check the line comes free.

Depth of lock is not really an issue because the angle of the line is so flat, usually starts slightly above horizontal and ends slightly below meaning that the difference in the position of the boat is negligable. Plus most locks where it is a common practice are plenty long enough to allow some margin for error.

I am, sure if we ask nicely Alan Fincher will dig out some old photos of it being done on straight siderd rails.

Using two people completely defeats the object!!!! They might as well just open the gate! It is to be used when short handed to negate the need to reverse boat, climb up lock, open gate, take boats out etc. If there are two on the lockside there is no need to bother!

Edited by kingofthecut

It way for pure effieciency

Once paddles were drawn the lock wheeler would attach lines and cycle off

The boatman would open the gates with the boats' thumblines and leave the lock

Locks were left with paddles up and gates open.

I've got some video somewhere I'll try to sort out

I think its Greyhound and Fazeley in the 90's

It way for pure effieciency

Once paddles were drawn the lock wheeler would attach lines and cycle off

The boatman would open the gates with the boats' thumblines and leave the lock

Locks were left with paddles up and gates open.

Agreed, giving those on the tiller a chance to do the range, check the stew, oil the engine etc. without losing anytime while locking.

Edited by kingofthecut