BMC 1.5 oil filter housing.

GBW

Featured Posts

Where can I find one?  I am into the fifth hour of searching without success.  I believe it is by Purolator.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

42 minutes ago, GBW said:

Where can I find one?  I am into the fifth hour of searching without success.  I believe it is by Purolator.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Don't just give up and buy a spin in filter conversion kit. I think ASAP Supplies and Calcutt sell them. Much easier to do filter changes. Probably some of the vintage tractor people as well.

3 minutes ago, GBW said:

Er!? Don't or do? (give up).

Don't try to find a new filter housing, so give up. Do buy an adaptor to fit a spin on filter. That will be far easier and will make filter changing and obtaining the filters easier in the future.

PS. I suspect Calcutt might sell you a second hand bowl or complete filter.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Lets clear it up. Are you looking for a new cast alloy filter head for a paper element filter or the tin can it fits in?

Better to buy a new filter head and gasket to convert to a spin on can filter, its only 2 nuts and 3 pipes to undo.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Lets clear it up. Are you looking for a new cast alloy filter head for a paper element filter or the tin can it fits in?

Better to buy a new filter head and gasket to convert to a spin on can filter, its only 2 nuts and 3 pipes to undo.

and £128!

3 pipes?

The rebuild engine came with a Tecalemit housing with a spacer and ineffective seals.  I guess the spacer was to allow short cartridges to be utilised.  There is a hint that Calcutt may be able to supply the missing bits.

Edited by GBW
omission

Mine is 1.5 - no pipes.

I've just discovered Calcutt conversion is much cheaper and I'll go for that. 

On the existing engine, I have always removed the whole housing which is straight forward. It is much easier to replace the filter off the engine.

Have a look at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323560856813

£100 less than your quote. Just two bolts, a modified filter head, and a spin on filter

Or https://calcuttboatsshop.com/epages/c3a6cb0f-3e0f-4132-9636-974f7502e04d.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/c3a6cb0f-3e0f-4132-9636-974f7502e04d/Products/A354390014

About £45.

Edited by Tony Brooks

3 hours ago, GBW said:

Mine is 1.5 - no pipes.

I've just discovered Calcutt conversion is much cheaper and I'll go for that. 

On the existing engine, I have always removed the whole housing which is straight forward. It is much easier to replace the filter off the engine.

Yes, that is what I used to do, after I discovered that was the method used by the Hireboat companies based in Braunston.

29 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Yes, that is what I used to do, after I discovered that was the method used by the Hireboat companies based in Braunston.

Us too on the fleet, much less oil spilt as well, but you do need a supply of gaskets in case the old one splits.

12 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Us too on the fleet, much less oil spilt as well, but you do need a supply of gaskets in case the old one splits.

I made the first gasket from brown paper and never needed to replace it in 18 years. When I first started to service my car in the 1960's, I never payed for gaskets, making them myself. Old habits die hard.

On 15/05/2024 at 17:07, Tony Brooks said:

Have a look at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323560856813

£100 less than your quote. Just two bolts, a modified filter head, and a spin on filter

Or https://calcuttboatsshop.com/epages/c3a6cb0f-3e0f-4132-9636-974f7502e04d.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/c3a6cb0f-3e0f-4132-9636-974f7502e04d/Products/A354390014

About £45.

Wow!  Unfortunately, out of stock, but the Calcutt one is ok.

7 hours ago, GBW said:

Wow!  Unfortunately, out of stock, but the Calcutt one is ok.

The Calcutt one (or very similar) is the one we put on Mintball over 30 years ago - well worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

The Calcutt one wasn't ok!  They had a duff batch with a defective screw that takes the cartridge.  It had a bad thread cut on the skew.

Calcutt readily swapped it and checked the rest of the stock.

Yes, almost too good! There will be postage on top.

I have used them a few times and have paid their place a visit in the middle of Wales when I took a faulty starter solenoid to replace. They were very helpful and there are a number of items common to both tractors and boats with BMC engines.

Another supplier that is incredibly convenient for me as it's just round the corner:

https://agrilineproducts.com/