Jump to content

BMC 1.5 oil filter housing.


GBW

Featured Posts

Where can I find one?  I am into the fifth hour of searching without success.  I believe it is by Purolator.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, GBW said:

Where can I find one?  I am into the fifth hour of searching without success.  I believe it is by Purolator.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

 

Don't just give up and buy a spin in filter conversion kit. I think ASAP Supplies and Calcutt sell them. Much easier to do filter changes. Probably some of the vintage tractor people as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, GBW said:

Er!? Don't or do? (give up).

 

Don't try to find a new filter housing, so give up. Do buy an adaptor to fit a spin on filter. That will be far easier and will make filter changing and obtaining the filters easier in the future.

 

PS. I suspect Calcutt might sell you a second hand bowl or complete filter.

Edited by Tony Brooks
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lets clear it up. Are you looking for a new cast alloy filter head for a paper element filter or the tin can it fits in?

Better to buy a new filter head and gasket to convert to a spin on can filter, its only 2 nuts and 3 pipes to undo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Lets clear it up. Are you looking for a new cast alloy filter head for a paper element filter or the tin can it fits in?

Better to buy a new filter head and gasket to convert to a spin on can filter, its only 2 nuts and 3 pipes to undo.

and £128!

3 pipes?

 

The rebuild engine came with a Tecalemit housing with a spacer and ineffective seals.  I guess the spacer was to allow short cartridges to be utilised.  There is a hint that Calcutt may be able to supply the missing bits.

 

 

Edited by GBW
omission
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mine is 1.5 - no pipes.

I've just discovered Calcutt conversion is much cheaper and I'll go for that. 

On the existing engine, I have always removed the whole housing which is straight forward. It is much easier to replace the filter off the engine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have a look at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323560856813

 

£100 less than your quote. Just two bolts, a modified filter head, and a spin on filter

 

Or https://calcuttboatsshop.com/epages/c3a6cb0f-3e0f-4132-9636-974f7502e04d.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/c3a6cb0f-3e0f-4132-9636-974f7502e04d/Products/A354390014

 

About £45.

Edited by Tony Brooks
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GBW said:

Mine is 1.5 - no pipes.

I've just discovered Calcutt conversion is much cheaper and I'll go for that. 

On the existing engine, I have always removed the whole housing which is straight forward. It is much easier to replace the filter off the engine.

 

Yes, that is what I used to do, after I discovered that was the method used by the Hireboat companies based in Braunston.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

 

Yes, that is what I used to do, after I discovered that was the method used by the Hireboat companies based in Braunston.

Us too on the fleet, much less oil spilt as well, but you do need a supply of gaskets in case the old one splits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Us too on the fleet, much less oil spilt as well, but you do need a supply of gaskets in case the old one splits.

I made the first gasket from brown paper and never needed to replace it in 18 years. When I first started to service my car in the 1960's, I never payed for gaskets, making them myself. Old habits die hard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/05/2024 at 17:07, Tony Brooks said:

Have a look at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323560856813

 

£100 less than your quote. Just two bolts, a modified filter head, and a spin on filter

 

Or https://calcuttboatsshop.com/epages/c3a6cb0f-3e0f-4132-9636-974f7502e04d.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/c3a6cb0f-3e0f-4132-9636-974f7502e04d/Products/A354390014

 

About £45.

Wow!  Unfortunately, out of stock, but the Calcutt one is ok.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, GBW said:

Wow!  Unfortunately, out of stock, but the Calcutt one is ok.

 

The Calcutt one (or very similar) is the one we put on Mintball over 30 years ago - well worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.