Victron inverter/ batteries/ solar recommendations

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is entirely your 'right' but my batteries tend to be at the 12.7 - 12.8 after several hours off charge and the surface charge dissipated. If I was to take a reading when the charger was initially switched off it would be well up in the '13s' and, after an hour or two maybe still at 12.9.

Sorry Allan, I must have had a brain fart. I agree the figures are indicative of rested voltages in general and good enough for inferring state of charge. However.it seems the voltage varies a little depending upon battery design and chemistry.

4 hours ago, Silent Flight said:

Yeah ‘my friend’ has asked about getting the inverter/charger repaired. Reading into it for him, often it gets shipped back to Holland which becomes expensive and then makes more financial sense to find a replacement with a 5 year warranty. I’ve found a couple of places that are Victron dealers. However he’s been told already before and after the survey it’s an issue on the boat, so it seems like flogging a dead horse.

I’m just trying to figure something out for an old pal, who wants to spend his days outside of four walls but has to have power for a certain level of care and comfort. He has a good budget to upgrade everything.

I was hoping for an easy answer but that’s boats I guess. My mistake that I showed him the Victron EasySolar as it does seem like a step in the right direction, but the numbers don’t add up. Shame they haven’t made that unit in 12v!

The problem is, throwing money at it is no substitute for learning how batteries work and how to look after them. Unless he reads and understands the "Battery Primer" on here I predict it will end in tears. 

You cannot do it for him. 

FWIW when fitting out Innisfree I installed Victron 24-300-70 Multiplus, 8x110 ah FLA & 100amp 24v alternator. Worked a treat no issues, 1st set of batteries lasted 2 years, 2nd set (8x120ah AGM) lasted 8years, still OK when boat was sold, this was despite me nearly killing AGMs with too low charge voltage (thought they were older American type)

Well impressed with them. 

Edited by nb Innisfree
  • Greenie 1

On 01/04/2024 at 22:09, MtB said:

The problem is, throwing money at it is no substitute for learning how batteries work and how to look after them. Unless he reads and understands the "Battery Primer" on here I predict it will end in tears. 

You cannot do it for him. 

Thanks for the advice, but you’re wrong it won’t ‘end in tears’. He has a copy of the battery primer and many other just as helpful articles available online.

I cannot do it for him, no. But I can and will continue to support my pals transition to the waterways. I will be monitoring his battery usage through the VRM portal initially until I’m confident that he is using them correctly.

On 02/04/2024 at 12:17, nb Innisfree said:

FWIW when fitting out Innisfree I installed Victron 24-300-70 Multiplus, 8x110 ah FLA & 100amp 24v alternator. Worked a treat no issues, 1st set of batteries lasted 2 years, 2nd set (8x120ah AGM) lasted 8years, still OK when boat was sold, this was despite me nearly killing AGMs with too low charge voltage (thought they were older American type)

Well impressed with them. 

Appreciate the insight I’m looking to get some AGM myself next year now, seem like a great balance of cost/performance currently available!

Recommended the same inverter/charger as before a new 12/3000/120. Cerbo GX S because it’s cheaper and he doesn’t need tank readings. Lead carbon battery’s as more cycles and has the budget for it after finding some good ‘bundle’ type deals online. Victron shunt and battery monitor also. The MPPT and panel/s will be the last thing as still figuring out the best place for easy install, performance, access to clean and least likely to get damaged etc. 

Still toying with amount and capacity of lead carbon battery’s. Any suggestions would be appreciated to suit the setup mentioned above. He has a single alternator, but will mainly have access to shore power.

5 minutes ago, Silent Flight said:

still toying with amount and capacity of lead carbon battery’s. Any suggestions would be appreciated to suit the setup mentioned above. He has a single alternator, but will mainly have access to shore power

Unless we get to see your pal's power/energy audit then any answer you get will be just a guess. We also need to know about his charging procedure when away from shore power, and the alternator rated output. Even then it will still be no more than an informed guess.

I had agms installed when I left shorepower, probably 600ah nominal four years ago, and they are showing no signs of old age.

I have two solar panels [550w] which provide energy six months of the year, without hassle.

In winter I am carefull to keep batteries charged using the 70amp alternator off the engine, about eight hours per week.

At this time of year I run the engine for thirty minutes first thing to provide hot water if I am not moving, so this will give batteries a boost if insufficient solar that day.

As @Tony Brooks says, a power audit is required to design a workable system.

Off grid usage has to be sensible, and monitored day by day. I check my readings at dawn and also at bedtime, so if I've let things go too low, I can recharge the next day, even if that means eight hours on the engine, which fortunately has only happened once. I normally try to minimise the time spent charging, as it can be very annoying for other boaters. Its annoying for me when someone moors up next to me, and then leaves the engine running till 8,00, pm, or even 8.03 pm as happened the other day!

Edited by LadyG