Housing benefit for mooring

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, marti.wunjo said:

So do you pay £500 for Canal license ? And then , do continual cruiseing.?. . . Does anyone know.?

The cost of the canal licence depends on how long your boat is, how wide it is and if you have a mooring or continually cruise.

The licence could be £500, or it could be £1500

7 hours ago, marti.wunjo said:

23' yacht .?

What is the beam (width) and mast height ?

Whereabouts (which canal, or, which city) do you plan to sail your boat ?

Remember that many of the canals and locks are suitable ONLY for boats measuring UNDER 7 feet wide.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

What is the beam (width) and mast height ?

Whereabouts (which canal, or, which city) do you plan to sail your boat ?

Remember that many of the canals and locks are suitable ONLY for boats measuring UNDER 7 feet wide.

Depth and design important., I've seen a few yachts, sailing yachts with bilge keel and with fixed keel, but these are outliers, refugees from the salty seas, and are on the deep commercial canals, they won't be great canal boats.

10 hours ago, marti.wunjo said:

So do you pay £500 for Canal license ? And then , do continual cruiseing.?. . . Does anyone know.?

Last year's canal and river licence was £755 for a 23' boat, so will be more from April 1st. I can't imagine there being many 23' yachts with sub 7' beam. 17' boats, yes, quite a few, 20' boats, maybe some but can't think of a 23' yacht that would go on the narrow canals. Even bilge or lifting keels on a boat that size will be a deep draft compared to most canal boats (for example a Leisure 23 draws about 2'8").

I saw a little boat the other day, outboard driven, the cabin looked very like a garden hut, with side windows, I'm not clear how he could see to steer, and must struggle to generate enough electricity to charge a phone, OK for few weekends in summer, but absolutely not suitable to liveaboard.

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I saw a little boat the other day, outboard driven, the cabin looked very like a garden hut, with side windows, I'm not clear how he could see to steer, and must struggle to generate enough electricity to charge a phone, OK for few weekends in summer, but absolutely not suitable to liveaboard.

I remember a young lad living on a 20' yacht (Corribee iirc) some time ago, and he was doing fine. How was that possible in a boat with no standing headroom and a cabin the size of a two man ridge tent? Answer - he was on a full service marina mooring (electric, wi-fi, washing machine, showers, elsan, cafe, chandlery and close to plenty of town amenities, pubs and shops). The boat was for sleeping, a few meals and sailing; pretty much everything else he did was off the water. His work was computer based so he would spend the workday in various cafes, library, shared workspaces etc.

Could you live on a boat that size if it didn't have access to all those facilities? It would be extremely hardcore and probably lead to physical and mental health issues. But...I imagine that it would be better than sleeping on a park bench or under a tarpaulin strung between trees in the woods. When someone asks me if I could live on my boat (before they understand how small it is) my response is to say that people were living in caves and round campfires in the past but it doesn't mean that we all would want to do the same these days.