Water point speed

DaveP

Featured Posts

And the mystery faucet at Pollington, requiring a non standard threaded accessory with an alternative copper pipe to fit a non standard hose. 

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

In about 1996 I split a seam on the polyprop tank on my narrow boat. Cookham lock. They used to have Chubb fire hoses on reels for the supply. Great idea. High volume. 

I was having a cup of tea with the lock keeper in the house and completely forgot about the water situation. Nobody else about as it was early spring. So the discharge from the hose was more than the gap around it and the vent combined. 

Result was quite a lot of water in the wrong places.

Someone else I spoke to had broken a stainless steel tank at the same supply point. 

Water supply systems have since been altered on the River. 

It was cool to be able to load water fast but one needed to be on the ball. 

I miss the fire hoses in a way. It was a great way to reduce the potential for queueueing at water supply points. 

Ironically back in those days there were far fewer Boats with large water tanks so the problem which was presumably trying to be solved did not exist. 

More to do with supposed contaminating back flow than anything  I suspect. At many places the flow  is now even slower than the worst cited above!

6 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Fradley tap outside the cafe is extremely slow, usually enough time to order and eat breakfast whilst waiting for the tank to fill.

The late Bruce, once a regular contributor here,  posted that if you had never read War and Peace, filling at Fradley was the ideal opportunity to do so.  But hunger is more urgent than culture so it's your decision.

• Happy 2