Separate fuel tanks for red diesel.........

Featured Posts

Are there any marina owners/fuel suppliers/delivery company folk on here who can confirm whether they look for separate tanks when delivering red diesel to a recreational boater?  

Last time I topped up was 2019 whilst passing a marina and it all went in a common tank with a 60/40 declaration.  I'm off grid on a canal with without any access to any marinas etc.  So I am considering a bulk order from a truck so I can fill up alongside a wharf somewhere nearby rather than keep carting jerry cans along the tow path. 

Q1. So is the separate tanks rule enforced or do marinas still just top up peoples fuel tanks and everyone relies on the declaration to by pass the online guidance?  

Q2.  Does anyone know of a delivery company that will deliver red diesel to narrowboats on the Basingstoke canal in the Farnborough area?  Most are saying their insurance prevents them delivering to recreational boats and/or boats on the water.

BR

Boaty

7 minutes ago, Boaty McBoaty said:

Are there any marina owners/fuel suppliers/delivery company folk on here who can confirm whether they look for separate tanks when delivering red diesel to a recreational boater?  

Last time I topped up was 2019 whilst passing a marina and it all went in a common tank with a 60/40 declaration.  I'm off grid on a canal with without any access to any marinas etc.  So I am considering a bulk order from a truck so I can fill up alongside a wharf somewhere nearby rather than keep carting jerry cans along the tow path. 

Q1. So is the separate tanks rule enforced or do marinas still just top up peoples fuel tanks and everyone relies on the declaration to by pass the online guidance?  

Q2.  Does anyone know of a delivery company that will deliver red diesel to narrowboats on the Basingstoke canal in the Farnborough area?  Most are saying their insurance prevents them delivering to recreational boats and/or boats on the water.

BR

Boaty

There is no requirement for having 2 tanks since we left the EU.

The problem is that most (all)  'delivery' (tanker) companies will have a minium delivery quantity of normally 500 or 1000 litres. We regularly use a tanker delivery but our fuel tanks are 2,800 litres.

2nd problem is that they will not be geared up to supply you at Inland Waterways rates with any split declaration, they are geared up for agricultural users at a fixed rate of duty.

3rd problem is that their discharge rate will massively overload your 'little' filler hose on a canal boat and you can potentially spill 100s of litres in a few seconds.

You may find a company that delivers 20 litre drums, but again the declaration may be an issue.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Marinas who are register

8 minutes ago, Boaty McBoaty said:

BR

Boaty

Marinas don't require you to have twin tanks, most will accept your declaration of percentages, some have a policy of only supplying at a fixed 60/40 split. They in turn pay the extra duty to HMRC not the fuel company that delivers bulk supplies

I think fuel suppliers who accept a split duty declaration have to be specifically authorised by HMRC to do so. So it is unlikely that suppliers who are not waterside or fuel boats can legally sell you red diesel with a split duty declaration. 

• Greenie 1

As AdE says, the tanker will have a hefty pipe that gushes out fuel at a huge rate, they do not have petrol pump style nozzles.

You will likely need to sign a red diesel declaration when you order the fuel stating what the fuel is going to be used for and why you can use red. They will not like boats.

200 litre drums work out much more expensive than bulk deliveries, and as said, bulk starts at 500 litres.