Teddesley Boat Company

Featured Posts

Hi

Does anyone know of or heard of any boats built by the then Teddesley Boat Company, Penkridge, They were taken over by Bourne boats, but I would love to see any Pictures of boats built by Teddesley, Thanks in anticipation. Malc 

Some of the earlier Teddesley Boats were built by at Allens of Oldbury* and are very high quality if ageing narrow Boats. 

Built for their hire fleet. 

* ETA correction not quite right. 

From the Allens register 

Horton Boats-
A section on boats built by John Horton who worked at the yard leaving just before the yard closed. After leaving John firstly built shells at Teddesley for the hire fleet, then moved to Oldbury Boat Services where he built a number of boats for private customers. John moved again to larger premises away from the canal where he built a number of boats until he to retired in about 2006. All of his boats look like Allens because thats the way he learn't to build them at the Allens. He stamped his own identity on them but they nevertheless continiued the classic shape for a few years after the Allens stopped.

I had an Allens Boat once. One of the best. 

Edited by magnetman

I nearly bought one as my first boat, quite pretty with a fibreglass lid. I ended up buying a Swan line instead, another pretty boat but had the glass fibre top replaced with marine ply.

This was our boat built on a Teddesley hull and glass fibre top. 1973 was when we started fitting out and have always thought it was an Allens hull, it was manufactured off site at, i'm sure I was told, Oldbury (but not sure now). They would often get 2 or 3 delivered together, presumably to save crane hire costs. If anyone knows more of the history of Teddesley and if they had any other source of hulls I would love to know.

image.thumb.jpeg.67611b7cc1e0d3613cce00db4cb9a29c.jpeg

The 'nose' on the bow doesn't look like Allens. It seems more similar to Hancock and Lane or Swanline but I don't think it is either of those. There will have been another shell supplier for Teddesley. 

Cabin shape looks a bit like Dartline.