Internet for working with great upload speeds

Christie9723

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Many 4G routers use MIMO to improve reception and increase data rates too, not just 5G, and these would need 2 external antennas or a 2x2 MIMO antenna which are quite cheap.

In a good signal area without too much congestion 4G will work fine, if there's a decent 5G signal then it will be faster -- but often only on download, upload can be similar or even slower sometimes.

But it is all about location -- I'm in West London and all the mobile networks here are pretty useless... 😞

Are there any antennas apart from 2x2 MIMO ones🤔

That was humour, I wouldn't even consider a router or antenna that wasn't. 

The 818 that I used is a cat19 2x2 MIMO unit, there is very little that is better for 4g unless you get into the silly (£400) price bracket. 

As you can see from the figures I posted earlier the 5g router is slower on upload both sets of figures were this morning from the same location and same network.

Living on the edge of a small town in Nth Devon the mobile coverage is excellent always getting decent 4g and often getting 5g in places you wouldn't expect.  I would have thought that London would be ahead of the provinces.

Fastest 5g I have seen 470/85mbs was in the car park at Dunelm in Huntingdon I was bored.  😎

6 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

Are there any antennas apart from 2x2 MIMO ones🤔

That was humour, I wouldn't even consider a router or antenna that wasn't. 

The 818 that I used is a cat19 2x2 MIMO unit, there is very little that is better for 4g unless you get into the silly (£400) price bracket. 

As you can see from the figures I posted earlier the 5g router is slower on upload both sets of figures were this morning from the same location and same network.

Living on the edge of a small town in Nth Devon the mobile coverage is excellent always getting decent 4g and often getting 5g in places you wouldn't expect.  I would have thought that London would be ahead of the provinces.

Fastest 5g I have seen 470/85mbs was in the car park at Dunelm in Huntingdon I was bored.  😎

Half a mile away yes, hundreds of Mbps easy. At my house in the suburbs no, tens of Mbps at best -- and that's with a 5G 4x4 MIMO router, or a 5G phone which just gave me 25/10Mbps on EE 5G... 😞

Location, location, location... 😉

Edited by IanD

4 hours ago, IanD said:

EE has more consistent coverage than Three especially outside big towns and cities, due to the differences in the bands the networks use. Three place more priority on 5G in towns and cities so can be better there, if they're not oversubscribed -- which they often are (especially at busy times) because they offer the cheapest unlimited data deals, which attracts the really heavy users. See here:

https://www.opensignal.com/reports/2023/09/uk/mobile-network-experience

Vodafone generally comes in third and O2 last -- but these are all averages collated over the whole of the UK, so things can be different in one particular spot.

If most of your time is spent in one marina, apart from talking to other users there it would be worth getting a cheap one-month SIM on each of the networks and comparing speeds, or maybe one of the multi-network SIMs which allow you to use any (but are *very* expensive).

I'd guess that 9Mbps upload is going to present a challenge in many places, you'll need either a 5G signal or a good 4G+ one for this, which might only happen in towns/cities and not everywhere even there...

Three has worked well for us over many years of extensive CC'ing, but can be slow, and very slow at times. At one stage we had 2 three contracts, before the days of unlimited 😀. We now have a winter home on a remote bit of the Rochdale and the only signal there is Vodafone, plus a tiny tiny bit of Three. We have just got a Teltonika dual sim router so are running Three and Vodafone contracts.

Two of my wifes gaming spots are the sofa right at the front of the boat, and the back cabin. With the router a midships the wifi just covers the full length of the full length boat, though the speed is just dropping off at these extremes .

I have just purchased the Zyxel NR5103E 5G WIFI 6 + Mesh Router 4.7GBPS. Can someone please advise on what 4x4 MIMO Antenna I will need and if I need to buy any cables or connectors? 

Was looking at this but really not sure if it has all cables & connectors as I am not good with this stuff. Thanks

Poynting XPOL-1-5G V2 Outdoor 4G LTE/5G 3dBi 4x4 MIMO Cross-Polarised Omni-Directional Antenna w/ SMA-Male Connector

6 minutes ago, Christie9723 said:

I have just purchased the Zyxel NR5103E 5G WIFI 6 + Mesh Router 4.7GBPS. Can someone please advise on what 4x4 MIMO Antenna I will need and if I need to buy any cables or connectors? 

Was looking at this but really not sure if it has all cables & connectors as I am not good with this stuff. Thanks

Poynting XPOL-1-5G V2 Outdoor 4G LTE/5G 3dBi 4x4 MIMO Cross-Polarised Omni-Directional Antenna w/ SMA-Male Connector

These links may help clarify things for you .... https://www.5gantenna.co.uk/5g-router-antennas/zyxel-nr5103/ and https://www.3grouterstore.co.uk/product-category/5g-antennas/4x4-mimo-5g-antennas/

1 hour ago, Christie9723 said:

One warning about using the external TS9 antenna connectors on the NR5103E (I have one) -- these are easily damaged, so don't plug the relatively stiff antenna cable (with SMA cable) in via a short TS9-SMA adaptor, use a longer flexible adaptor like these and tape them to the back of the router with gaffer tape or similar:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09MLLB1FP

(this is a pair, you'll need two pairs)

Edited by IanD