Thornycroft Mitsubishi Engine stuck in reverse

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Traveller21 said:

Indeed! The cable has been damaged....so a new one ordered and being fitted this week and hopefully that should sort it 🙂

If you disconnect the cable from the gearbox end you should be able to mover the arm back and fort selecting neutral forward and of course reverse 

Thank you - Its my son's boat - he's not so good at interpreting the mechanics of the boat hence me posing the questions - he's now got the cable installed (himself) and it's now selecting all the gears but he thinks it still needs some tweaking but he's onto the mechanics and what he needs to now....thank you all again...it's so useful to have the advice and help on here. Very much appreciated! 

• Greenie 3

18 minutes ago, Traveller21 said:

Thank you - Its my son's boat - he's not so good at interpreting the mechanics of the boat hence me posing the questions - he's now got the cable installed (himself) and it's now selecting all the gears but he thinks it still needs some tweaking but he's onto the mechanics and what he needs to now....thank you all again...it's so useful to have the advice and help on here. Very much appreciated! 

Thanks forgetting back to us, so many dont bother 

1 hour ago, Traveller21 said:

Thank you for responding, your solution may help others suffering from Big Foot!

2 hours ago, Traveller21 said:

Instructions on cable adjustment:

It one of the cables is maladjusted or if a cable is bent through too tight a radius or worn, then you will get smooth operation with nothing connected to the cables by stiff when connected. Before even thinking about getting the gearbox overhauled, please ensure all beds in the cables are as large as possible.  Then disconnect both cables from the engine end:

Set the control lever to neutral and hold the throttle lever on the engine in the idle position. The cable fitment should just drop into the lever, if not, adjust the position of the fitment on the cable end so it does.

Next, set the control lever to slow ahead or astern, which does not matter. Do not do this step with the lever in neutral. Ensure the gearbox lever is in neutral and the trunnion o the cable should just drop into the hole in the gearbox lever. If not adjust the trunnion on the cable so it does.

Posted on another gearbox topic this morning. Ignore the comment on gearbox overhaul.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

If you disconnect the cable from the gearbox end you should be able to mover the arm back and fort selecting neutral forward and of course reverse 

Has your son done this? It's not always easy to set up the cables correctly, so you should check the gearbox works without the cables attached first, to eliminate that as a possible source of the problem.