Eberspacher turning off randomly

Sperky

Featured Posts

Hi all  

Fairly new to all this and first post. CC’er on 69’NB on the grand Union . Be kind!!
 My Eberspacher  ( hydronic D3 S5E) is turning itself off seemingly randomly - even though the Easystart controller looks like it’s still running - ie the heater icon is selected and the amount of minutes left on the cycle is still visible.  the red ring on the outside of the controller knob does go out though. I’m not running it on timer at present.  And no fault codes come up. 

It seems to happen when I’ve had it running for a good long time - 10hours maybe ( which unfortunately I am having to do at the moment because my diesel stove has had an ‘immediate risk’ notice put on it - more about that in another post!)

EBER was fitted new about 6months ago. Obv only really just started using it a lot in the last month or so. Is there something obvious ( or not) that I missing?  Do they have thermostats or sensors that cut it off ? 

Also - anyone know what the diesel consumption is on these?  Is this costing me an arm and a leg to run?  It’s off my main tank. I already know it’s draining my batteries more than I would wish. 

advice gratefully received - I didn’t get much ( hardly any) guidance from the marina I purchased from. 

thanks!! 

Your main issue will probably be battery voltage,  power req being 50w, over 10 hours this soon adds up, especially with sunset so early.

They use around 1litre of diesel an hour, so 3 weeks use will drain a 200 litre tank, even if you are not running engine to charge batteries.

...and now you want a diesel stove too...

My hope was to use the EBER to take the chill off in the morning ; then put the REFLEKS on. 
1l per hour seems like an enormous amount …… thanks for the warning 

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Your main issue will probably be battery voltage,  power req being 50w, over 10 hours this soon adds up, especially with sunset so early.

They use around 1litre of diesel an hour, so 3 weeks use will drain a 200 litre tank, even if you are not running engine to charge batteries.

...and now you want a diesel stove too...

It doesn’t come up as a fault code as being under voltage.  Which is the strange thing that I don’t understand 

Refleks stoves can run 24/7 so you won't need to run the Eber in the morning.

Pros: warm boat, less condensation, no electric use

Cons: uses more diesel.

You often hear if people complaining their boat has condensation and then you find out they run their heating on off on off which is a sure way to make things damp.

• Greenie 2

We have an eberspacher. Ours dpesnt use anywhere near a litre an hour. Once it has the radiators to temperature (via sensing the water return temp as far as I am aware) it throttles back. Our controller is the simple one.

We had a refleks before an liked it a lot. Weve had webasto and bubble diesel heaters in the past and I dont think any of them used that much. Ill check, but the quoted figures are something like 0.25 to 0.33 per hour when running properly. 

• Greenie 1

On 26/11/2023 at 09:35, Bobbybass said:

Mine in this boat...and my last....also used about  1 litre an hour.

I think it also depends how long you have it on for and what other heat sources there are. Ours throttles back comparatively quickly, but at the moment with the fire on it's largely used for back ground heating and heating the water.