Round chine boat

Featured Posts

It’s there for hull repairs, some of the knees and curved plates have rotted. Martin Brookes, who runs the yard, has had it there for some time now, he’s had new plates rolled for replacement. There is no rush for the job to be completed, he tells me, so it’s being done piecemeal in between other jobs.

27 minutes ago, dave moore said:

It’s there for hull repairs, some of the knees and curved plates have rotted. Martin Brookes, who runs the yard, has had it there for some time now, he’s had new plates rolled for replacement. There is no rush for the job to be completed, he tells me, so it’s being done piecemeal in between other jobs.

But what is it, where was it used. Definitely an interesting craft 

9 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Hi Brian

ive just spoken with Martin. Not too much to add, the boat started life and worked in Holland carrying a variety of cargoes. It’s having all of the steelwork replaced below the waterline. That’s it!

OK, that would explain the shape, quite typical. Seeing it in his yard I just wondered if it was locally build and used for something, in which case it has strange lines and all I could think of was a tunnel tug.

12 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Hi Brian

ive just spoken with Martin. Not too much to add, the boat started life and worked in Holland carrying a variety of cargoes. It’s having all of the steelwork replaced below the waterline. That’s it!

Several of these on the river Wey. I think the NT had one for sale not long ago. 

Looks like a dutch Westlander or something. Inland canals local use. 

Funny dimensions the ones on the Wey seem to be about 10 or 11ft wide. 

I think Wood Hall Heward has one of these but wider so maybe @J R ALSOP would know. 

Lock+Repair+BARGES?format=300w

The one attached to the push tug. I think this is the same type as the boat in the OP

Magnetman has it about right, it is Dutch, there are umpteen types of Dutch boats built to suit the networks of small canals, very occasionally you will find one that will fit UK narrow canals. Some are very simple flat bottomed and flat sided punts, some are more boat shaped  ≥ Kagenaar werkboot platbodem bierboot — Platbodems — Marktplaats  If you dig around the various Dutch sites there are all sorts under Schuit, Westlander Kagenaar etc. and I for one cannot tell the difference between most of them

1 hour ago, Bee said:

Magnetman has it about right, it is Dutch, there are umpteen types of Dutch boats built to suit the networks of small canals, very occasionally you will find one that will fit UK narrow canals. Some are very simple flat bottomed and flat sided punts, some are more boat shaped  ≥ Kagenaar werkboot platbodem bierboot — Platbodems — Marktplaats  If you dig around the various Dutch sites there are all sorts under Schuit, Westlander Kagenaar etc. and I for one cannot tell the difference between most of them

Dave has confirmed what the boat is. I was hoping it was something special