Propeller clearance

Featured Posts

Peter Thompson of "Lister" and Uxbridge fame once told me in the 80s.

When it comes to prop clearance, the most common profile of wood jettisoned into the cut and therefore most likely to try to pass between prop tip and uxter is 2 X 4.

So 4" clearance is recommended.

1 minute ago, zenataomm said:

Peter Thompson of "Lister" and Uxbridge fame once told me in the 80s.

When it comes to prop clearance, the most common profile of wood jettisoned into the cut and therefore most likely to try to pass between prop tip and uxter is 2 X 4.

So 4" clearance is recommended.

Maybe wood was thicker in the good old days... 😉

I'd have thought anything coming between Colonel's prop and the skeg/uxter is unlikely to survive the encounter, given the size of the prop and the weight of a Bolinder flywheel...

Haven't seen Pete for years -- last photo I've got of him was at a music session in the 80's. Folkies may just recognise the callow youth between us, who was learning at the time... 🙂

boxes.png

If anyone wants a prop refurbisher closer than the south coast, then here is always Steel Developments of Merton. We used them for all our OB props in the 70s, and they do yellow metal ones as well. I can't remember who we used for bronze props, but probably Norris.

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If anyone wants a prop refurbisher closer than the south coast, then here is always Steel Developments of Merton. We used them for all our OB props in the 70s, and they do yellow metal ones as well. I can't remember who we used for bronze props, but probably Norris.

we used to send the outboard props to Chas Newens but I think they probably just took them to Norris and charged a 'well to do people who live by the River' surcharge. 

2 hours ago, CIEL said:

Clements Engineering is where my prop was fettled.

A short taxi ride from Eaton Socon Lock on the River Great Ouse.

Or use carriers

Phone: +44 (0)1234 378814
Email: sales@clementsmarine.co.uk

Clements Engineering Ltd,
Unit 120,
The Industrial Park,
Little Staughton,
Bedford.
MK44 2BN

Chris

Thanks for that I think I’ll go through the insurance see if it’s covered going to cost a bit to get it out to remove

he. I had it re modelled to 21 pitch Cowroast marina hauled it up and got the prop of and I replaced in the water

used a Nordloc washer Half locking nut and half nyloc nut kept checking every day for a week then as and when hatch opened still tight