Extra large side hatches

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, blackrose said:

If it was me I'd paint the screw heads and blend them in a bit so they wouldn't be so obvious.

They do come in a huge range of colours, & can be powder coated any colour you like, we use thousands of them at work.

I quite often have to show the low profile torx headed ones on drawings as Architects can be very fussy, one manufacturer does what they call an Irius head that has no drive hole in it, you need a special tool to fix those, but they do look better.

Irius-Screw.jpg

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

You think you'd find a sliding boat window that big? Even if you could, surely the opening wouldn't be as large as you could only have half of it open?

Plus since you're talking about what's ugly, those sliding windows take the first prize in my opinion.

Hence why I asked what had happened. Had the window cut out been increased in size?

But even if not, there must have been a window there beforehand. So just swap the window for a slider.

Size of opening- a slider you may have half the window cut out. 

This set up, you have no more than a 3rd for each window. So the slider likely wins in giving a larger single opening. Assuming that is the point of it.

Ugliness- Well yes, sliders normally are. But really, worse than this bodge job? We really will agree to disagree.

Ok. I'm going to be nice. This job that looks like a bodge job!

• Unimpressed 3

2 hours ago, JungleJames said:

Ok. I'm going to be nice. This job that looks like a bodge job!

So what are you like when you are being unpleasant, if this is you being 'nice'?

3 hours ago, JungleJames said:

Hence why I asked what had happened. Had the window cut out been increased in size?

That was my assumption yes.

This set up, you have no more than a 3rd for each window. So the slider likely wins in giving a larger single opening. Assuming that is the point of it.

No it doesn't necessarily because if the aperture has been increased in size then a slider that size may not even exist!

Ugliness- Well yes, sliders normally are. But really, worse than this bodge job? We really will agree to disagree.

Yes we certainly will.

14 minutes ago, M_JG said:

So what are you like when you are being unpleasant, if this is you being 'nice'?

He comes across as a total douchebag regardless. 😋

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JungleJames said:

So what exactly was done here, and what was the point?

I'm assuming a window cutout has been enlarged?

The point? Apart from wanting an ugly boat, was I assume so you could pass a cup of tea outside? Very expensive cuppa. Or is it to pass 2 cuppas outside at once, hence the 2 windows? Still an expensive cuppa.

If they wanted a decent opening, why not replace the window with a sliding version? You get just as large an opening, as I really don't see the need in having 2 very separate opening windows as in this case. 

Or sell stuff to people on the towpath

image.png.d1744e763f726862e885aec30404643f.png

ob3.jpg

• Happy 1

5 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

IMHO it is not even approaching being a bodge, if you are talking about Martin Kedian's long window, I would describe it as a neat solution to a customer's request.

Agree to disagree. Hence my comment.

Think it's absolutely horrible looking.

Why oh why someone wants something like that.

3 hours ago, M_JG said:

I call it a bodge, instead of looking like one! 

Although saying that, if it's true, it isn't unpleasant. So good question.

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

That was my assumption yes.

No it doesn't necessarily because if the aperture has been increased in size then a slider that size may not even exist!

Yes we certainly will.

He comes across as a total douchebag regardless. 😋

Douchebag= honesty and calling ugly, well, ugly?

Fine by me sir. I wear it with pride.

What do you call all those that haven't said anything, but think the same as me? Just out of interest, as my knowledge of the Oxford English must be lacking.

Oh wait, that comment just fell right into your lap. Hey ho.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Or sell stuff to people on the towpath

image.png.d1744e763f726862e885aec30404643f.png

ob3.jpg

With a proper side hatch as shown in both of your pics. I fully agree.

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

He comes across as a total douchebag regardless. 

Indeed, as shown by subsequent posts.

A thoroughly unpleasant type.

A doubt Martin gives two hoots what this individual thinks about his work.

1 hour ago, Martin Kedian said:

Another Bodge job done today 

23 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Your absolutely correct  

Edited by Martin Kedian
  • Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Oh how wrong you have me.

At least I can agree to disagree with individuals. 

Edited by JungleJames

Just now, JungleJames said:

So let's see.

1- Pointing out 2 awful looking jobs, of which I'm not the only one thinking as such.

2- Pointing out a website that could have been a lot clearer, and highlighting one that was clear and simple to understand.

3- Calling out one of the forum elders for trolling another individual. Of which a lot of other people eventually agreed.

Thoroughly unpleasant? Hey, I really don't worry about how a few people on a forum want to view me, no matter how inaccurate.

At least I can agree to disagree with individuals. 

Can we leave it there folks & not turn This thread into a Troll fest.

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, JungleJames said:

Oh I dont think so....

2 minutes ago, Chris Lowe said:

Can we leave it there folks & not turn This thread into a Troll fest.

Fine by me.

Those screws look very similar to the ones that fasten our flue to the brick outside wall. I hadnt seen anything like them previously and was a bit surprised when the fitter just screwed them home without any drilling what so ever. I expected them to crack/split the bricks but they didnt.

3 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Those screws look very similar to the ones that fasten our flue to the brick outside wall. I hadnt seen anything like them previously and was a bit surprised when the fitter just screwed them home without any drilling what so ever. I expected them to crack/split the bricks but they didnt.

They are a great fixing tool 

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Are they steel doors with a wood lining

Yes they have a built i. Drain channel and steel outside lined in American White Oak  double glazed units 

Just now, Martin Kedian said:

Yes they have a built i. Drain channel and steel outside lined in American White Oak  double glazed units 

IMG_2592.jpeg

1 hour ago, Martin Kedian said:

IMG_2592.jpeg

Not to my taste, but the high standard of workmanship is plain to see and if that is what the customer wants, result.

(Deffo not a bodge).