Battery Charger Installation

Morris

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Tacet said:

Whilst they are not that onerous, there are several BSS requirements for AC.  For example 3.3.1 requires all cables to be supported in a safe position.

Indeed, but I was more refering to the provison of a 'shore line' where sections 3:8:1, 3:8:2, 3:8:3 3:9:1, 3:9:2 are all non mandatory for private boats.

However (unsurprisingly) there is some confusion :

3.2.3 Are all electrical cables free of damage or deterioration? R

Check the condition of all electrical cable insulation and sheathing which can be seen. All electrical cable insulation and sheathing must not show signs of damage or deterioration, including: • overheating; or, • chafing; or, • reaction with water or fuel.

Applicability – this Check applies to both AC and DC cables.

3.8.3 Are all shore-power and other AC power source leads and connectors in good condition? A/R

Check the condition of any shore-power and other AC power source lead cables where they can be seen. Check the condition of the connectors fitted to the cable/s. Shore-power and other AC power source lead cables must be free of: • signs of damage or deterioration; and, • repairs. Shore-power and other AC power source lead connectors must be complete, secured onto the cable with no inner conductors visible, and be free of: • signs of damage or deterioration; and, • repairs.

Applicability – 3.8.3 is an Advice check for privately owned and managed vessels

They really should get a proof-reader who knows what they are doing.

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Surely both the RCD and the earth path may both be needed to protect people? It doesn't have to be a choice.

Agreed, but I think there is/was some confusion around HAVING to have an EARTH for the RCD to  work

bet the OP wished he'd never asked, but actually a really useful thread i think. 

Edited by jonathanA

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Yeah, but....

Surely the extension lead, charger and croc clips can all go in the hedge for the duration of the inspection, along with the junk out of the gas locker, the generator and the petrol cans, etc? :help:

I was waiting for that one

20 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There is absolutely no requirements in the BSS to meet any "standards" for your 230v AC wiring - Although potentially dangerous, the BSS will still grant a 'pass' if your wire is poked thru a window and the sheath is chafed all the way thru.

image.png.75fd5495b4af61e88dc2dc051ee3990f.png--

8 minutes ago, MartynG said:

image.png.75fd5495b4af61e88dc2dc051ee3990f.png--

Suggest you read my answer to this (already posted 3 or 4 posts above).

3.8.3 Are all shore-power and other AC power source leads and connectors in good condition? A/R

Check the condition of any shore-power and other AC power source lead cables where they can be seen. Check the condition of the connectors fitted to the cable/s. Shore-power and other AC power source lead cables must be free of: • signs of damage or deterioration; and, • repairs. Shore-power and other AC power source lead connectors must be complete, secured onto the cable with no inner conductors visible, and be free of: • signs of damage or deterioration; and, • repairs.

Applicability – 3.8.3 is an Advice check for privately owned and managed vessels

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Suggest you read my answer to this (already posted 3 or 4 posts above).

It was your statement indicating the BSS has no requirement to meet any standards for AC wiring  which isn't really correct   I guess you mean British Standards compliance is not mandatory.

The easy way out of the shore power cable check is to remove the cable for the BSS examination. It does seem ridiculous to require any fitted  cable to be inspected but make any significant defect found an advisory for privately owned boats .

Another example to demonstrate the BSS is not worthy of its name. 

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

It does seem ridiculous to require any fitted  cable to be inspected but make any significant defect found an advisory for privately owned boats .

Disagree - how often do you check your electrical cables for nick's, chafing, etc??