Moving your first boat

bluelapsing

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, manxmike said:

I fondly (?) remember coming across a hire boat with two young men opening every paddle - top and bottom - at a lock. I managed to persuade them not to do that and talked them through lock operation. When I asked why the hire base had not instructed them in locking, they said that two of the party (who were still asleep after the previous night's boozing) had been shown "the ropes". It was a stag do, I was so pleased they were going in the opposite direction to me, I hope the hire base got the boat back in one piece!

Coming up through Common Moor Lock on the GU we met a sailaway shell with a couple of chaps. They watched me work through then asked how the lock worked. It turned out they had just had the brand new boat craned in at P&S Marine at Cassio Bridge and this was the first lock they had come to. They had one windlass between them, no previous boating experience, and expected to at Little Venice that evening!

4 hours ago, Andyaero said:

I am going to be in the same predicament in June/July. Sheffield to south of Leics on the GU somewhere. 90 mins in the car, a lot longer by boat! Not planning on being without experience Keadby to Newark!

You’ll be ok, by the time you’ve done the Tinsley flight you’ll know how to do locks. 

46 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

You’ll be ok, by the time you’ve done the Tinsley flight you’ll know how to do locks. 

And once you get on the Trent you don't need to do them - some nice chaps do it all for you (9 to 5 ish)

Is Keadby lock to somewhere in Newark , south of Cromwell lock, doable by someone of experience/boatmover in a day in mid summer? About 13 hours? Or would you give it 2 days? Ta.

19 minutes ago, Andyaero said:

Is Keadby lock to somewhere in Newark , south of Cromwell lock, doable by someone of experience/boatmover in a day in mid summer? About 13 hours? Or would you give it 2 days? Ta.

You need to work out the tide times for the day of travel or, if the tide is on the ebb, you could be spending hours beating against the tide and getting nowhere 

(Keadby to Cromwell is tidal waters)

You want to be leaving Keadby as the tide (at Keadby) starts on the flood and it will 'carry you' to Cromwell.

Once upstream of Cromwell lock you will be going against the flow - in normal conditions it is probably under 1 mile an hour, a few days after rain in the catchment area the river could be up to 2-3 mph.

You are only on the non-tidal River for about 4 to 5 miles (depending where you stop in Newark.

Unlike the canals, cruising on rivers - and even more so on Tidal rivers - you need to do some detailed planning.

It will take about 13-14 hours in a NB assuming your work with the tides.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 2

Boats going to south of Leics, just figured I'd use the experienced help until the non tidal bit (Newark best drop off point) and then do it myself, with the Mrs, from there?

50 minutes ago, Andyaero said:

As Alan says you’ll have to get the tides right, have done it a few times, last 1-2 hours slow going into Cromwell, but doable. Just speak to the Lock keepers at Keadby and they will tell you the best option for the tides.

It’s not as daunting as you think so don’t get yourself worked up about it, there’s always boats going South that time of year, just buddy up with one and follow it, if they stop off at Torksey for the night do the same, it will be a lot less stressful.

Is your boat being built at Sheffield? 

22 minutes ago, Andyaero said:

Boats going to south of Leics, just figured I'd use the experienced help until the non tidal bit (Newark best drop off point) and then do it myself, with the Mrs, from there?

Do it yourself.

Get a copy of the chart showing the shallows / route to follow and just follow it.

Going on the rising tide IF you do happen to drift onto a sand bank the tide will lift you off in a few minutes.

No locks to worry about - its all done for you, all you do is stay on the boat and loop the lines thru the 'sliders' bow and stern.

The thought of it is more worrying than the actual doing it.

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Do it yourself.

Get a copy of the chart showing the shallows / route to follow and just follow it.

Going on the rising tide IF you do happen to drift onto a sand bank the tide will lift you off in a few minutes.

No locks to worry about - its all done for you, all you do is stay on the boat and loop the lines thru the 'sliders' bow and stern.

The thought of it is more worrying than the actual doing it.

I'm generally a confident person, but feel I'm also confident in the limits of my own knowledge currently. I don't want to be over confident with an expensive new boat, that's when something snaps up and bites you.

22 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Is your boat being built at Sheffield? 

It is

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, Andyaero said:

I'm generally a confident person, but feel I'm also confident in the limits of my own knowledge currently. I don't want to be over confident with an expensive new boat, that's when something snaps up and bites you.

It is

Diesel or electric?

Recommend joing the tidal Trent FB group. I've left now I've sold my boat but think it was called Trentlink. A really useful group and you should be able to buddy up with another boater through the group.

3 hours ago, Andyaero said:

Stalker 😀

No,, your builder was confirming the boat length that would go down the flight and said he was doing a 60ft cruiser stern for a guy, I said you would be OK. Finesse do 62ft boats that can’t get down😂 you made a good decision and will get a great boat and save a lot👍👍

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

On 01/03/2024 at 17:39, manxmike said:

I fondly (?) remember coming across a hire boat with two young men opening every paddle - top and bottom - at a lock. I managed to persuade them not to do that and talked them through lock operation. 

I generally open every paddle - top and bottom - at most locks. Just not simultaneously if that's what you were getting at?