1.5 BMC alternator

Lochwarden

Featured Posts

Need a new alternator for my 1.5 BMC. It’s the A127 I need I believe. Just not sure if it’s right hand or left hand fitting I need. Looking at the front of the engine, fan belt end, the alternator is on the left. So silly question, but is it the right hand fitting one I need or left hand. Just seems to be conflicting information as to which one I need, left or right fitting? The obvious answer for me is left hand fitting? Thanks. 

Some images to explain it here:

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/c/replacement-alternators

Also be aware that the fans, if one is supplied, on the alternator, can also be handed. If the fins stick straight out from the centre they are fine for either rotation, but if they are at a tangent then make sure they are the same as you existing one.

5 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Some images to explain it here:

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/c/replacement-alternators

Also be aware that the fans, if one is supplied, on the alternator, can also be handed. If the fins stick straight out from the centre they are fine for either rotation, but if they are at a tangent then make sure they are the same as you existing one.

Thank you Tony, after looking at the diagram it makes sense now. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Lochwarden said:

Thank you Tony, after looking at the diagram it makes sense now. Thank you. 

Do bear in mind that it depends where the swivel mounting is, above or below the centre of the alternator. The BMC  hangs down so a right hand alternator as it is mounted on the starboard side with the adjuster below.

If the adjuster was to be on top it would need a left hand.

You can buy alternators that will mount either way or with the mountings at 180 degrees where they have 3 holes for the adjuster. These have a fan which works in either direction.

A left can be converted to right and vice-versa by removing the through bolts and turning the rear case without taking it off.

But then watch the fan direction.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You can buy alternators that will mount either way or with the mountings at 180 degrees where they have 3 holes for the adjuster. These have a fan which works in either direction.

This is my 'bi-directional' alternator(s)

HC-Cargo Alternator 112237 14V,70A,with belt pulley, with RPM sensor | online shop (autopartspro.co.uk)

buy low-cost Alternator HC-Cargo 112237, £ 151,66

IMG_20151211_161109.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

On 23/09/2023 at 14:19, Tracy D'arth said:

Do bear in mind that it depends where the swivel mounting is, above or below the centre of the alternator. The BMC  hangs down so a right hand alternator as it is mounted on the starboard side with the adjuster below.

If the adjuster was to be on top it would need a left hand.

A left can be converted to right and vice-versa by removing the through bolts and turning the rear case without taking it off.

But then watch the fan direction.

Thank you, it’s all much clearer now.

39 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

Call Lancashire Rotating Electronics and ask them for a replacement and whatsapp them a pic, new one will likely arrive the following day...

Hi, thanks Dave, but I’ve just ordered one from Bowers. £75 with vat and delivery included.