Narrowboat builders

kats

Featured Posts

Hi,

As mentioned in a previous post we have been searching for our narrowboat for a couple of months now. We seem to have narrowed it down to 55-60foot, well maintained, semi-trad/cruiser, budget upto £70,000, don't mind layout, looking to DIY to maintain, but not wanting a big project e,g change kitchen or pull out floorboards (hopefully not). We seem to be drawn to Aqualine/Amber style boats and have heard/read positive things about them. We may have narrowed out search criteria a bit too early though. Can anyone recommend any other similar boat builders? Or offer any other helpful hints for searching for the first narrowboat?

Many Thanks 

16 hours ago, kats said:

Hi,

As mentioned in a previous post we have been searching for our narrowboat for a couple of months now. We seem to have narrowed it down to 55-60foot, well maintained, semi-trad/cruiser, budget upto £70,000, don't mind layout, looking to DIY to maintain, but not wanting a big project e,g change kitchen or pull out floorboards (hopefully not). We seem to be drawn to Aqualine/Amber style boats and have heard/read positive things about them. We may have narrowed out search criteria a bit too early though. Can anyone recommend any other similar boat builders? Or offer any other helpful hints for searching for the first narrowboat?

Many Thanks 

55-57 ft is go anywhere and may have a different price, to some extent to a 58-60ft.

Even though prices have risen last three year, I think you should get something decent.

I f you are in a marina it matters little whether it looks good or steers well . 

If you want to boat, for leisure then it depends where you are, if you are restrained length.

I would not have a square stern, I don't think they are suited to real boating, so assuming you might want to sell in next few years you are limiting your market 

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I would not have a square stern, I don't think they are suited to real boating

What is "real boating" exactly and how is it differentiated from "fake boating" presumably?

My 12ft widebeam has a tapered square stern and I've cruised more canals and rivers on the southern waterways than most people I meet on narrow boats with round sterns. I wouldn't choose a square stern again just for purely aesthetic reasons, but in practical terms it's never been a problem.