Cetus bow thus tear

Nigel Twigg

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

I don't know how much a Go-pro costs but something like this might be cheaper.

https://amzn.eu/d/6HQLKLn

It says it's IP67 rated which is up to 1m water immersion for 30mins, but obviously read the reviews before buying.

I borrowed one of these to inspect my fresh water tank. The focal length was incredibly short and the field of view so narrow that it was far less useful than it promised to be. There must be good ones about amongst the overwhelming array of Chinese tat so, whilst the concept is excellent, choose wisely.

If anyone can recommend one that delivers, I'm sure many of us would be grateful.

5 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

You may well  find boating without one more enjoyable. It makes you think a little more carefully when steering with better placement in the canal and will probably make you navigate better as a consequence. 

I find the same. In fact there is a pleasure to be had from thinking ahead and planning how to manoeuvre the boat without  a bow thruster, and succeeding. It can always be done one way or another. 

I've never had one and never will. Having a get-out-of-jail-free button would diminish the pleasure of narrowboating.

• Greenie 1

I'd be getting the holes plated over with 5mm steel. Not wishing to put any curses on but bowthruster tubes can be dodgy.

I've steered all sorts of different boats single handed the entire length of the Thames and a lot of the canals with no bow thruster and no problems. including a 72ft narrow boat and a 57x12ft modern English barge. Never needed a prop at the front and never collided with anything. Worth having a stretchy centre rope in case of issues close to locks.

I'm sure as mentioned a bowthruster will tend to reduce the pleasure associated with driving the boat, which would be a shame.