Offside vegetation cutting this winter – West Midlands area

Grassman

Featured Posts

Great work , well done to you all.

If it's any help, I do both our local winding holes twice a year, for totally selfish reasons of course...and last week the overhanging Alder on the towpath side which was blocking the A5 bridge sightlines.

Edited by matty40s

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

We snap off bits of willow we cruise under, although i'm now banned from it as i grabbed a bit on the Ashby and an entire branch dropped on me :D 

I carry a pair of secateurs in the "ticket" draw. I don't use it for tickets

20 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I carry a pair of secateurs in the "ticket" draw. I don't use it for tickets

I have an old pair of folding ones on the boat that i used to carry when walking/geocaching (daughter wasn't keen when brambles were across the path), but the handles are not kind to your hands so will look at getting a nice pair for the boat.

3 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

I have an old pair of folding ones on the boat that i used to carry when walking/geocaching (daughter wasn't keen when brambles were across the path), but the handles are not kind to your hands so will look at getting a nice pair for the boat.

I trimmed some overhanging bramble on the towpath after a young lady nearly got them in her face

Every little helps. I carry some shears too, and snip away as we cruise along, or pull/snap branches with my hand. Last week when grabbing a weeping willow as we went under it, a load of black bugs came down with it and we were covered in them 🙁.

On the subject of weeping willows, unfortunately we can rarely reach the actual branches even with a long reach pole chainsaw or hedge trimmer. So we are only able to give them a 'haircut' and in no time they re-grow so quickly.  

31 minutes ago, Grassman said:

Every little helps. I carry some shears too, and snip away as we cruise along, or pull/snap branches with my hand. Last week when grabbing a weeping willow as we went under it, a load of black bugs came down with it and we were covered in them 🙁.

I had the same thing happen, hundreds of the little blitters 

Great to see this. Hopefully it's a success and can be extended in future years.

BCNS do quite a bit of cutting-back from Phoenix. At one point someone backed the boat out unexpectedly, and I found myself dangling from the outer end of the half-sawn-through branch, saw still in hand. I'm sure I've seen that cartoon...

Edited by Francis Herne
  • Haha 3