Herefordshire and Gloucestershire

SteveCourty

Featured Posts

The Herefordshire & Gloucestershire Canal Trust have been active in restoration for many years now. It will be of interest what finally happens at Newent Station site, which the trust owns and intends to restore. In building the railway for the GWR, the levels were changed and the trust did consider the option of running the canal as a waterway through the platforms, but now have a plan to have an incline to haul boats up and down between levels.

The first plan led an artist to visualize the prospect of a canal boat passing through the restored station.

Newent-Station-Canal-400.png

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

The Herefordshire & Gloucestershire Canal Trust have been active in restoration for many years now. It will be of interest what finally happens at Newent Station site, which the trust owns and intends to restore. In building the railway for the GWR, the levels were changed and the trust did consider the option of running the canal as a waterway through the platforms, but now have a plan to have an incline to haul boats up and down between levels.

The first plan led an artist to visualize the prospect of a canal boat passing through the restored station.

A nice idea, but Rotherham station has beat the to it. 😀

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

I tried to find more info on this but this was the only picture I could find. I’ve spoke to the chair of the trust and i’m going to do a video on it next year when the tip is cleared. It’s a really interesting project

23 minutes ago, SteveCourty said:

I tried to find more info on this but this was the only picture I could find. I’ve spoke to the chair of the trust and i’m going to do a video on it next year when the tip is cleared. It’s a really interesting project

The proposal was detailed at the time in The Wharfinger, the Trust magazine. Some of them may be available on-line, but if this includes the copy you'd need, I don't know.

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The proposal was detailed at the time in The Wharfinger, the Trust magazine. Some of them may be available on-line, but if this includes the copy you'd need, I don't know.

I found info about it but not pictures, I’ll see if I can dig through and find. I’m a new member to the trust so I only have one Wharfinger at the moment!

4 hours ago, Heartland said:

Hebden Bridge Station, as imagined by local artist Ian Gilmour.

Narrow_Boat_at_Station_1.jpg

And those worried about the impact on rail services can be reassured. The trains now run down Market Street.

A_Handy_Train_for_Shopping_at_the_Co_op.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 2

On 05/08/2023 at 18:14, SteveCourty said:

Hello all, I hope everyone is good? I’ve just released my first video on the canal at Malswick. This is a new dig close to the line of the old canal and railway, more in the video!

Many thanks. Now on our front page. :)

16 hours ago, David Mack said:

Hebden Bridge Station, as imagined by local artist Ian Gilmour.

Narrow_Boat_at_Station_1.jpg

And those worried about the impact on rail services can be reassured. The trains now run down Market Street.

A_Handy_Train_for_Shopping_at_the_Co_op.

Happy to see that the train is stopping at the pedestrian crossing. Not convinced the step down from the pavement to the tracks meets current disability accessibility guidelines though. 😀

On 07/08/2023 at 07:53, buccaneer66 said:

Steve

Which bit of canal is that?

image.png.724222bccfd518df8c98e50ec5e206d7.png

It’s near to Malswick house. If you find the Newent football club and then follow the road back to the solar farm

If you need it for maps I can ping you over something on a map if you’d like

10 minutes ago, SteveCourty said:

It’s near to Malswick house. If you find the Newent football club and then follow the road back to the solar farm

If you need it for maps I can ping you over something on a map if you’d like

Yes I need to update my map, I got most of the proposed diversions from the canal society but they didn't send me that bit.

57 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Yes I need to update my map, I got most of the proposed diversions from the canal society but they didn't send me that bit.

Dark Blue is in Water

Light Blue has Planning and is planned next (Left side first)

Orange is going through the process of planning and is hoped to be put into planning later this year

Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 16.55.16.png