Overnight mooring Uxbridge to Brentford

Featured Posts

We're doing the Thames Ring anti-clockwise, so down the GU. Setting off in about a week but struggling to find any info on overnight mooring between Uxbridge and Brentford. Last time we did this we tied up at Bulls Bridge. Is this still the recommended stop? Anywhere decent before the Thames? Thanks in advance.

52 minutes ago, Proper Charlie said:

We're doing the Thames Ring anti-clockwise, so down the GU. Setting off in about a week but struggling to find any info on overnight mooring between Uxbridge and Brentford. Last time we did this we tied up at Bulls Bridge. Is this still the recommended stop? Anywhere decent before the Thames? Thanks in advance.

Struggling in what sense? i did a trip to the south end of the GU a couple of years ago and wondered what I’d find.

In reality the visitor moorings seem to be generally avoided by liveaboards. Had no problem tying up on visitor moorings below Cowley when arriving quite late in the day for instance.

Also I recall there being plenty of opportunities around Hanwell/Norwood.

I stopped at Bulls Bridge on the way down and it’s not the best but it’s OK.

Edited by Captain Pegg

I've moored on the rings above Norwood Top lock before and not had any problems. In some instances it can be worth mooring opposite existing residential boats if you are unsure and there are some there above top lock. 

Not a nice part of the world and the weed (in the canal) can be really bad but it is a valid place to stop. There are rings from after the small private arm opposite the playing fields as far as the lock. These days it might be full of moored boats but it is an option. 

I have also moored at Bulls Bridge Tesco overnight before but this was a number of yars ago. The delivery trucks run all night so it can be a bit noisy with the reefer units running but at least something happening so one does not feel it is too quiet. 

Yes that pound below top locks (mooring just before 3 bridges) is quite short so I would be a bit wary of mooring there due to rapid changes in level overnight. 

Of course if it is a pleasant evening and the CRT don't have any restrictions on use then just going down the flight and finding somewhere to moor at the bottom is not so terrible.

Having said that it is not very deep and the Brent often shoals very badly there so you can end up in mud easily nowhere near the side. 

Edited by magnetman
sentence length