Webasto fuel supply- where to to tap from?

Featured Posts

Hi all,

planning to install a Webasto Thermo Top C but a bit confused about where from to take the fuel supply? I prefer to not take it from the engine supply line and tap directly into the fuel tank but cannot access to the top of the tank (which is the deck of my semi trad), the only option is to drill into the side from engine bay. But how to affix the fuel pipe to a side wall? Any fixings to buy or make?

any help will be very welcome, thanks in advance

On my last boat the Eber was fed from an outlet on the water separator, worked fine.

The only reason not to tap into the fuel line is that the engine could starve the heater of fuel.

If you increase the size of the pipe to the water separator and then tap from there it will generally avoid this problem.

The supply for my Eber was from a side entry dip pipe that I retrospectively fitted from the outside after letting the fuel to run down to about half a tank. The dip tube didn't reach right to the bottom of the tank but that was a conscious decision on my part. It was an official Eber fitting. 

10 minutes ago, Slim said:

The supply for my Eber was from a side entry dip pipe that I retrospectively fitted from the outside after letting the fuel to run down to about half a tank. The dip tube didn't reach right to the bottom of the tank but that was a conscious decision on my part. It was an official Eber fitting. 

And nor should it (& nor should your engine supply dip-tube)

The norm is for the engine dip-tube is to end about 4" above the bottom (this allows for an accumulation of rust, crap, and water.

Any other dip-tube should end a reasonable distance ABOVE the engine dip-tube otherwise you can be happily running the heater and when you come to start the engine  find you have 'run out' of fuel.

Better to not have enough fuel to start the heater than not enough to start the engine.

For fittings you need something like this: https://www.pfjones.co.uk/planar-fuel-stand-pipe-807.html

It's not clear if it's got a metal dip tube but it looks like it. You might be able to make something from a brass tank connector by filing some flats on the side so it can be carefully inserted into the tank via a cut hole and then screwing the nut down with a suitable sealing washer (taking appropriate cautions not to drop it in the tank). That's how my Webasto dip tube is fitted, it came as part of a fitting kit. No idea what the fitting is called.

The kit was supplied a lot of years ago by

BK Marine and Vehicle Heating 01926 810310, maybe *.****@btinternet.com or possibly 01489 799800

No idea if they're still in existence.

Or: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195870525604?

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
Email address obscured a bit by a moderator.

Maybe think about fitting it’s own fuel tank if you have space, not knowing your semi-trad design, but a lot have lockers either side so maybe easier to fit a small stainless fuel tank in to one? This may be the solution if you don't want to feed off the engine supply or drill the tank, also as mentioned not getting the heater feed below the engine feed. Maybe an option to consider.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And nor should it (& nor should your engine supply dip-tube)

The norm is for the engine dip-tube is to end about 4" above the bottom (this allows for an accumulation of rust, crap, and water.

Any other dip-tube should end a reasonable distance ABOVE the engine dip-tube otherwise you can be happily running the heater and when you come to start the engine  find you have 'run out' of fuel.

Better to not have enough fuel to start the heater than not enough to start the engine.

That was the logic behind my actions.

On 25/07/2023 at 17:31, Onewheeler said:

For fittings you need something like this: https://www.pfjones.co.uk/planar-fuel-stand-pipe-807.html

It's not clear if it's got a metal dip tube but it looks like it. You might be able to make something from a brass tank connector by filing some flats on the side so it can be carefully inserted into the tank via a cut hole and then screwing the nut down with a suitable sealing washer (taking appropriate cautions not to drop it in the tank). That's how my Webasto dip tube is fitted, it came as part of a fitting kit. No idea what the fitting is called.

The kit was supplied a lot of years ago by

BK Marine and Vehicle Heating 01926 810310, maybe *.****@btinternet.com or possibly 01489 799800

No idea if they're still in existence.

Or: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195870525604?

Thanks for the links, I was not aware that these can be fitted from outside of the tank. Will definitely look into.