Stability of cafe boat

Theo

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wonder if this ever passed a stability test, I don't think it has ever been used by the public 

DSCF8353 a.jpg

This looks like it might have similar problems. 

9461244128_4b29a0c038_b.jpg

Let's hope it never tries going to sea...

Look at all those guy ropes needed to keep it upright! 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Quite possibly, The name is painted on the side of the boat

We saw you, too, on the Avon, and you kindly warned us of the stoppage on the Stratford.  I didn't twig soon enough to realise.

Nick

• Happy 1

On 22/07/2023 at 07:38, Ken X said:

Many years ago I was involved in the stability testing of a new ferry for Christchurch Harbour.  We spent a long and very hot day shifting many many 75kg weights all around the vessel whilst the man from the ministry watched and directed.  At each configuration the freeboard was carefully measured all round the boat and calculations made.  I guess a similar test may be needed for this boat.

Last year we bought a trip boat for the London Canal Museum. One of the things that we had to do before we bought it was to carry out a stability test which involved putting weights representing the maximum number of people along one edge and measuring the tilt. The requirement was for 75kg per person, we allowed for14 people 

I attach a couple of pictures of the test.

115 LCM  Blue Swan Stability Test 15th November 2022_resize.jpg

111 LCM  Blue Swan Stability Test 15th November 2022_resize.jpg

Edited by Tim Lewis

I did one for the Pocklington Canal trip bat a few years ago.  However, we used actual people rather than weights which made the process much easier. I have also been involved in doing an Inclining Experiment (a more elaborate version of the test) for a couple of ships and in both cases we used a Fork Lift to move the weights around. Luckily both vessels had car decks which was useful in making the whole process very straight forward.

Howard

Edited by howardang

11 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Last year we bought a trip boat for the London Canal Museum. One of the things that we had to do before we bought it was to carry out a stability test which involved putting weights representing the maximum number of people along one edge and measuring the tilt. The requirement was for 75kg per person, we allowed for14 people 

I attach a couple of pictures of the test.

115 LCM  Blue Swan Stability Test 15th November 2022_resize.jpg

111 LCM  Blue Swan Stability Test 15th November 2022_resize.jpg

Foxes in March commandeered people, weighed each one  and had them all sit on the seats one side, then move to the other side