Inflatables

Bubblebuster

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Interesting point. I'd hope so on the basis that it is on something that is in the water but not in the water itself. It is being stored out of the water when not in use. I'm thinking along the lines of an old car being moved on a trailer behind a fully taxed, insured and MOT passed car. As long as its wheels aren't on the road the car being towed doesn't need tax or MOT itself.

In the old days on the River Thames if you had a cruiser and towed a dinghy behind then it needed a tender licence and it had to be labeled as tender to. If it was on davits or on the roof when you went through a lock it did not need a licence.  But that has all changed and now it needs a licence wherever it is

6 hours ago, Tonka said:

Oops. If he lives in Wales then it is not the BCU but the Welsh Canoe Association ha needs to join for the un-powered licence. If it is going to be powered then you will need a CRT licence

SUPs need a licence,  I believe. 

On 21/07/2023 at 16:32, Bubblebuster said:

Now I am living near the idyllic Monmouth and Brecon canal I have been thinking of getting a little boat along with an electric engine to do some lazy days exploring - but should it be an inflatable, or something rigid like a conventional dinghy given that it might snag and puncture. 

Unashamed plug!!

Ive still got this for sale.....and it will take an electric outboard or a small petrol unit

3 hours ago, Tonka said:

In the old days on the River Thames if you had a cruiser and towed a dinghy behind then it needed a tender licence and it had to be labeled as tender to

And you still do (sort of) with C&RT, it must be marked up "T/T Big Arse" (or whatever your boat is called)

C&RT Rules :

If your tender is less than 3m long and it is normally carried on your boat or towed behind it, and only used to and from your main boat then you don’t need a separate licence. Please make sure your tender is clearly marked with “Tender to YOURBOATNAME" and your boat's index number.

If you use your tender for any reason other than gaining access to your main boat, and/or if it’s longer than 3m, and/or cannot easily be lifted out of the water and stored on the main boat, you'll need to buy a boat licence for the tender.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

The only remaining issue (unless I have missed it) is the suitability of using an inflatable because of any underwater snags. Not on the M&B canal as far as I know, but cruising the Cheshire ring a few years back on a section of clear water it was quite shocking to see the amount of 'debris' that could be seen.

Swim in a canal?

Err, I don't think so.😉

22 hours ago, Tonka said:

Covered by the canoe association membership.

But how many users of SUPs are such members? Otherwise a licence is needed, see CaRT web page on paddleboarding.

Edited by Mike Todd

2 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

But how many users of SUPs are such members? Otherwise a licence is needed, see CaRT web page on paddleboarding.

Very little I would say. Probably not helped by the fact that paddleboards used to be under the surfing association but as soon as there was a rumour going around that they be included in the Olympics suddenly the Canoe Associations wanted them and won.