Billing Aquadrome goes bust.

matty40s

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Its a horrible place in every way. However for those unfortunate to be there this will be of some considerable concern.

What's horrible about it? 

Is it worse than other marinas perhaps? 

I remember visiting Sawley and walking around and being impressed at how much of a dump it was compared to say, Braunston Marina due (perhaps) to the high concentration of liver boards rammed in. Is Billing a bit like that perhaps? 

The marina section is a very small part of the operation.  This affects the camping grounds the "pods" and all the park home areas of the site.

We were not impressed with the marina facilities latterly either.

We only ever stopped off there long enough to do our washing in the laundromat.  (Or pick up fish and chips from the on site concession)

(Our boat was fitted out by Eastern Caravans and Narrowboats who fitted the fleet of hire boats that used to operate out of there.)

Chris

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

I remember visiting Sawley and walking around and being impressed at how much of a dump it was compared to say, Braunston Marina due (perhaps) to the high concentration of liver boards rammed in. Is Billing a bit like that perhaps? 

Its a whole sprawling caravan site that I dont like about it.

25 minutes ago, MtB said:

It's a bit like Skegness/ Mablethorpe without the sea and beaches, ice cream and Leicester City shirts. The marina is an afterthought in every decision made on the site. This includes being barred from returning to your boat as it's not safe during a flood situation should you need to leave for provisions.

I wont tell you what the crane operators think of the management!!

Edited by matty40s

44 minutes ago, MtB said:

In my opinion having lived there over 5 winters and spent the rest of those years at another nearby mooring owned by Billing (great mooring, bad management), it was the owners and management that were horrible. Worse than other marinas. 

I left 2 years ago for that reason.

The boaters aren't as badly treated as the people in static caravans, many of whom get completely ripped off. At least on a boat you can leave but the static homes are much more difficult to relocate so they are beholden to Billing's unreasonable demands and many of them can ill afford it.

Nobody at Billing whether in a boat or a static caravan has anything good to say about the place.

Edited by blackrose

• 2 months later...

Apparently it's quite sad there now with most boats gone. No diesel as the pump failed the weights and measures test and will not be replaced. No pumpouts, no gas as nobody has paid the bills. That includes the caravans. 

The owner of another local caravan and moorings operation made a reasonable offer which was turned down. After a month of no interest at the administrators perceived value, they went back to him and said OK, however, he halved his original offer as no other bids had been made.

• Greenie 1