Charger going to float.

fudd

Featured Posts

On 05/07/2023 at 16:20, fudd said:

I have a Victron 50 amp charger that works fine on the landline, but goes straight to float when I switch over to the generator. Any ideas please. 

"Switch over" from shoreline to genny? Why would you do that? More to the point, HOW are you doing that?! If you really are switching over from one power supply to another whilst charging I'm not surprised the charger gets upset.

What happens if you turn off the charger, switch power supplies, turn the charger back ON? 

Edited by MtB

Some Victron inverters do not like working with some generators which do not produce a good waveform and there are settings in the inverter to try and accommodate this such as "weak ac". I have no idea if some of their stand alone chargers are equally finicky and have similar setting options.

40 minutes ago, MtB said:

What happens if you turn off the charger, switch power supplies, turn the charger back ON? 

I read it as that was what he was doing. I might be wrong but the phrase "switch over" also has an idiomatic use and isn't always meant to be taken literally.

40 minutes ago, MtB said:

"Switch over" from shoreline to genny? Why would you do that? More to the point, HOW are you doing that?! 

Actually, I can do that just by using my break & make mains selector switch. As you say, I've never needed to do it but it wouldn't be a problem.

This sort of thing.

Screenshot_2023-07-08-21-10-22-470_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by blackrose

On 05/07/2023 at 16:20, fudd said:

I have a Victron 50 amp charger that works fine on the landline, but goes straight to float when I switch over to the generator. Any ideas please. 

I've found Victron support staff to be particularly helpful so, once you've eliminated all the possible ID 10 T errors, try giving them a call or use the appropriate help forum on their website.

I am sure this is stating the obvious, but these chargers do go straight to float if the battery is full. I would run it down to a point where it def needs a charge and try charging via the gennie then to see what it does - which you probably have already done.

You can also turn off the "Intelligent start up" where it does the voltage check and then starts in boost whatever the battery voltage.

If you are going from landline to generator sources and the batteries def need a charge and this persists then I don't know, sorry.