C&RT making friends on the L&L

Featured Posts

https://www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/23628414.letter-little-evidence-canal-maintenance-silsden-skipton/

“Letter: Little evidence of canal maintenance between Silsden and Skipton

FURTHER to your article, and comment on: The Canal and River Trust has announced its intention to remove 12 waste bins along the towpath of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal from near Gargrave to Kildwick (Cash-strapped canal trust to remove bins from towpath in Craven, June 23 online and June 29 in paper). 

So that will mean more poo bags thrown into our hedges and over walls into my livestock, hurrah for the penny-pinchers.

The quite ridiculous statement that the Canal and River Trust (CART) carry out any maintenance is absurd.

At best, at least on the Silsden to Skipton branch, there is little evidence to support their claim. Indeed, there are bridges out of action, leaks, a towpath that exists in name only and, if anything does break, it’s merely patched up.

That’s not maintenance, that’s negligence. I’ve earned a reputation for assisting boaters through bridge 188 as it is, invariably, off its bearing. Moreover, if I’m not around, boaters take it upon themselves to ‘counterbalance’ the bridge by dismantling my farm wall.

This hasn’t happened once or twice, this is a weekly occurrence and, despite informing CART multiple times, nothing but platitudes.

Considering boaters fees have increased twice in as many years, it would be interesting to obtain a Freedom Of Information (FOI) request to assess exactly where the money is being spent, because it certainly isn’t here.

Phil Baptiste

Kildwick

(Note - the Canal and River Trust has been asked to respond)”

No idea why this article popped into my feed, but thats algorithms for ya ;) 

Edited by Hudds Lad
remove ADVERTISING
  • Greenie 1

I reported litter at Fall Ings the other day, it's obviously quite a popular area for picnickers, I started to  pick a few things up, but in the end I had to give up, no bins, another economy that seems to put out a negative message.

Maybe a new blue sign "please take your litter home to make life better by water"

13 hours ago, Jerra said:

Most lay-bys up here have no litter bins and are much cleaner.  When a bin was full people would just leave stuff in bags or not.  Crows tore open bags and scattered what was in looking for food scraps.

so rather than increase the frequency of emptying or provide larger bins, you think taking them away is the answer...

I think the problem is a bit wider, certainly here in Lancashire LCC have increasingly made it harder to use the local 'tip' sorry household recycling centres either by closing them or with endless petty rules and restrictions, need to book trailers etc and not surprisingly they are now wringing their hands in horror and complaining about the massive increase in fly tipping but refuse to acknowledge that the two things might be related... 

I think there is also a society issue with folks who think its ok to toss their maccy d wrappers/left overs out the window of their car rather than take it home and put it in a bin.... 

in our village their are a group of volunteers who litter pick along the main road through it every week, suspect the 'clean laybys' may be receiving the same sort of local attention. 

1 hour ago, jonathanA said:

so rather than increase the frequency of emptying or provide larger bins, you think taking them away is the answer...

I am merely telling you what I have observed happening in The Lake District over the last 70+ years

I think the problem is a bit wider, certainly here in Lancashire LCC have increasingly made it harder to use the local 'tip' sorry household recycling centres either by closing them or with endless petty rules and restrictions, need to book trailers etc and not surprisingly they are now wringing their hands in horror and complaining about the massive increase in fly tipping but refuse to acknowledge that the two things might be related... 

I am referring of course to the litter mentioned by those enjoying the canal not on water and they could take it home and put it either in general household waste or their roadside collection of recycling whichever was more appropriate.

I think there is also a society issue with folks who think its ok to toss their maccy d wrappers/left overs out the window of their car rather than take it home and put it in a bin.... 

True but it does seem to have reduced greatly up here.

in our village their are a group of volunteers who litter pick along the main road through it every week, suspect the 'clean laybys' may be receiving the same sort of local attention. 

Many of them are miles away from the nearest village.  Yes locally to villages you do get volunteers but not at lay=bys 8 or 10 miles away.