Armstrong AS3

Liam

Featured Posts

Would anybody know where I can (preferably) download a manual for an Armstrong Siddeley AS3 please, along with the attached Parsons box if poss. I think the 3 pot was named Peregrine?

Thanks 

Try the manual library at Internal Fire museum.  You need to register  to deter the e-bay photocopied scammers, but it is free.

You will probably need to look for the 'box separately.

N

The engine names like Merganser (an AS2) and Peregrine (an AS3) were the results of the Parsons Engine Co Ltd taking Armstrong Siddeley engines, mating them with their own manufactured gearboxes, and reselling under the Parsons brand,

A 1957 BW record card for our SICKLE shows it as having been pitted with the Parsons Merganser engine.  The fitted gearbox was the Parson's type F.  I'm fairly certain I have seen the manual for the Parsons type F gearbox available online.

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

A 1957 BW record card for our SICKLE shows it as having been pitted with the Parsons Merganser engine.  

Would you want to revert back to an AS3? I would take the HA2 as a swap 😃

1 hour ago, Liam said:

Would you want to revert back to an AS3? I would take the HA2 as a swap 😃

Fraid not.  Plus I already have an HA3 in the garage if I should want to deliver more grunt than the HA2 already fitted.

5 hours ago, James Owen said:

I'd swap your choice of any H series (I have a few ) for the AS3.... especially the one you've just acquired!!! 😉

I snarfed about the Armstrong at first but after these couple of days on the way home it is growing on me... Either way its definitely worth a discussion when we get back 🙂

• 1 month later...

AS3 of course I have legitimately got one in Christopher James. It is as far as I am concerned a top engine. Rebuilt 35 years ago has not given trouble. Plus of course the noise is excellent. Always sends my daughter straight to sleep even now after 29 years! Has only two speeds fast and b————y fast. Yes it smokes but can greatly reduce this mixing in high grade Kerosene and 2 stroke oil. As far as I am concerned you will not get a better engine, starts in any weather and of course no cooling water problems.

It's a long shot, but you could try the Armstrong Siddeley Owners Club, who have their spare parts warehouse less than a mile from my home. AFAIK they are predominantly a car owners club, but they may know whether any spares are still available for the diesel Engines. Their phone number is 01225 723809.

22 minutes ago, Andy Hall said:

Yes it smokes but can greatly reduce this mixing in high grade Kerosene and 2 stroke oil.

Vereeee interestink! 

My Gleniffer smokes like a 13 year-old behind the bike sheds, I think I should try this!!