Sikafex 291i or CT1 for sealing glass in hatch?

Featured Posts

All I have onboard is a tube of CT1 or Sikaflex 291I & I need to refix the glass in a sidehatch. The seal is against the external steel of the hatch & I want to get the glass in before the next rain. I'm not going to get to any suppliers of window tape which I use on the portholes.. I know the Sika flexes but I've never used the CT1.

What to use?

291i seesm to be for 'interior' use which makes me wonder about how durable it would be for sealing glass in an exterior situation.  CT1 seems to be something of a 'wonder' product but does seem more suited to damp/wet situations.  

my guess is either would do the job its probably about how long they last/when it starts looking tatty.....  would you be able to get the glass out again without damage if you needed to - again i suspect you could with either (with care) so worst case you can redo it at some point in the future if you need to.  

• Greenie 1

Don’t use silicones as they will need very careful removal if you want to remake the bond in future.  For long life - say more than 7 years you need a glass primer on the glass, something like betaprime 550 is good (available on eBay & Amazon). This is often used for car windscreen replacement.  Without using a primer the bond may fail after a few years.

Also don’t push the glass in too hard, you need an adhesive thickness of a few millimetres otherwise the stress from temperature expansion  mismatch will cause the joint to fail.  I would use alcohol (ipa) to clean the surfaces.  A good way to check if your solvent (eg white spirit) is ‘pure’ put a drop on the glass, leave to dry and if it leaves an oily residue don’t use it.

Edited by Chewbacka