Thames licensing and BSC confusion

cheesegas

Featured Posts

Hi all. Not strictly canals I know, but I'm going mad trying to get a definite answer and the EA haven't been great at picking up the phone.

I'm looking at buying a little 20ft GRP Hardy to use on the Thames Estuary and coastal waters as I've wanted to cruise on lumpy(er!) water for a while now. It's currently moored in a tucked away backwater on the upper Thames and doesn't have an EA license or valid BSC. No gas.

My plan is to get it onto the GU near Uxbridge, do some work on it, have it craned out for antifouling and then eventually get it onto a swinging mooring near Leigh-on-sea...but this mooring isn't available for another 6 weeks, and I can't keep it at its current mooring after purchase so I'd be doing a little CC'er shuffle for a bit. I have a fair bit of experience of boating in both my narrowboat and an 18ft GRP on the tidal and upper Thames, got a VHF license etc.

Anyway. What's the best way to get a Thames and then CRT license? After reading, I think the following is the best order...

1 - arrange for a BSC test while on a visitor mooring on the upper Thames

2 - get 3rd party insurance

3 - get an EA visitor license. Or a temporary transit license? I can't find any more info on how this is applicable.

4 - get a CRT license. As far as I know, you can't buy a 6 month license and the unused bit of a 12 month can't be refunded?

5 - move boat from upper Thames onto CRT waters via Brentford.

6 - move boat from CRT waters to Leigh-on-sea via Limehouse

Thanks! 

Just now, David Mack said:

If you are craning out for antifouling why not do all the work on the boat while it is out? No need for BSC, EA or CRT licence.

It's being taken out the water at Uxbridge, nowhere on the Thames can do it any time soon unfortunately. As there's a big gap between when I'm possibly buying it and when I can get it onto the mooring, it can't stay on the Thames legally, hence moving it to CRT waters. And for the craning, it's literally coming out for a couple of days and that's it - not quite enough time for me to work on it!

You don't need a licence or registration on the tidal Thames. 

Therefore no BSS. Some mooring providers including the PLA require the boat to be insured. 

A one month visitor registration for the Thames  (above Teddington) has a self declaration of boat condition and standards rather than requiring a BSC. 

I think the same applies for the visitor licences on CRT waters. 

There is a limit to the number of visitor licences one may purchase per yar. 

Edited by magnetman

2 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

The EA have nothing to do with Thames Tideway licensing, the Port of London control navigation but as far as I am aware there is no requirement for a license

Thanks, yep fully aware of this - my question is about getting it from Bourne End to Uxbridge, which involves taking it on EA water through manned locks for quite a long way, and then via Teddington.

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

You don't need a licence or registration on the tidal Thames. 

Therefore no BSS. Some mooring providers including the PLA require the boat to be insured. 

A one month visitor registration for the Thames  (above Teddington) has a self declaration of boat condition and standards rather than requiring a BSC. 

I think the same applies for the visitor licences on CRT waters. 

There is a limit to the number of visitor licences one may purchase per yar. 

Thanks - I didn't know about the CRT short term license! Just had a look and I can't work out whether you need a BSC or not though, I'll call next week. I can't remember what was on the Thames visitor license form when I went through last year but I don't remember them needing insurance. Regardless, I'd want to get 3rd party insurance for the transit, which can be done without a BSC.

Once it gets to the mooring, I'd then get fully comp cover.