Gaz Bottle Storage Questions

A A Matthews

Featured Posts

I would think this boat will need a new BSS Certificate as this is major alteration and will be liveaboard.  I selected my examiner from the Boat Safety Scheme Gase Safe Examiners list. He did a bit of work to upgrade the gas stove fitting,  fitted a test point, and tested the system.

The liveaboard status has slightly different "variations" if you don't use  a Boat Safe, Gas Safe person.

12 hours ago, LadyG said:

I would think this boat will need a new BSS Certificate as this is major alteration and will be liveaboard.  I selected my examiner from the Boat Safety Scheme Gase Safe Examiners list. He did a bit of work to upgrade the gas stove fitting,  fitted a test point, and tested the system.

The liveaboard status has slightly different "variations" if you don't use  a Boat Safe, Gas Safe person.

BSS Certificate lasts for 4 years, there is no requirement to have a new one issued in the event of a major alteration or the boat becoming a liveaboard. 

The boat should be maintained in accordance with the BSS in between inspections, and you can CHOOSE to get the boat re-checked if you want.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Barneyp said:

BSS Certificate lasts for 4 years, there is no requirement to have a new one issued in the event of a major alteration or the boat becoming a liveaboard. 

The boat should be maintained in accordance with the BSS in between inspections, and you can CHOOSE to get the boat re-checked if you want.

And the RCD (should the boat have been built since 1998) is very 'clear' on this.

A 'major rebuild' of any of the safety components (eg gas system) requires the boat to be re-certified using the 'Post Construction Assessment' systemmand confirmation that it has been modified  / installed to the required standards.

Major craft conversion is defined in Article 3(7) of the Directive. Watercraft is subject to major craft conversion when it changes the means of propulsion of the watercraft, involves a major engine modification, or alters the watercraft to such an extent that it may not meet the applicable essential safety and environmental requirements laid down in the Directive; A watercraft subject to a major craft conversion as defined in Article 3(7) must still comply with the requirements of the Directive when it is made available or put into service after conversion. Such converted watercraft shall be subject to post-construction assessment according to the Article 19(3) of the Directive. The provision does not apply to watercraft placed on the market or put into service before 16th of June 1998

39 minutes ago, Barneyp said:

I think this boat has also having a new installation, a stove, so that is another major alteration to what is written on the existing Certificate, if indeed the boat has one!

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think this boat has also having a new installation, a stove, so that is another major alteration to what is written on the existing Certificate, if indeed the boat has one!

I'm not disputing that the boat is having major alterations, I am saying that doesn't mean a new BSS is required.

As Alan says, IF the boat was built after the introduction of the RCD in 1998 then it is likely that the boat will need to be recertified under those regulations, which are different to BSS and is unlikely to be done by some one who is also a BSS inspector.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Barneyp said:

As Alan says, IF the boat was built after the introduction of the RCD in 1998 then it is likely that the boat will need to be recertified under those regulations, which are different to BSS and is unlikely to be done by some one who is also a BSS inspector.

But nobody is policing the recertification of boats which have had a major alteration, so in practice it is just BSS requirements that matter (unless you are planning to take the boat to an EU country).

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But nobody is policing the recertification of boats which have had a major alteration, so in practice it is just BSS requirements that matter (unless you are planning to take the boat to an EU country).

Fine until you come to sell it via one of the (apparently) increasing numbers of brokers who will not take on a boat without an RCD / RCR.

20 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Fine until you come to sell it via one of the (apparently) increasing numbers of brokers who will not take on a boat without an RCD / RCR.

But if you have the original RCD/RCR paperwork, is a broker going to look too closely at whether a recertification should have been done?

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But if you have the original RCD/RCR paperwork, is a broker going to look too closely at whether a recertification should have been done?

Maybe I'm giving brokers more credit than they deserve but if they see a couple of 13kg gas cylinders, connected up, on the rear deck and not in a locker I thought that they may ask - is this compliant with the BSS or RCD / RCR.

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And the RCD (should the boat have been built since 1998) is very 'clear' on this.

A 'major rebuild' of any of the safety components (eg gas system) requires the boat to be re-certified using the 'Post Construction Assessment' systemmand confirmation that it has been modified  / installed to the required standards.

Major craft conversion is defined in Article 3(7) of the Directive. Watercraft is subject to major craft conversion when it changes the means of propulsion of the watercraft, involves a major engine modification, or alters the watercraft to such an extent that it may not meet the applicable essential safety and environmental requirements laid down in the Directive; A watercraft subject to a major craft conversion as defined in Article 3(7) must still comply with the requirements of the Directive when it is made available or put into service after conversion. Such converted watercraft shall be subject to post-construction assessment according to the Article 19(3) of the Directive. The provision does not apply to watercraft placed on the market or put into service before 16th of June 1998

Which I assume for inland waters, (can't remember the letter and I am not looking it up) its a self certification. ie. you tell them its done to the correct standard just like all the major boat fitters do.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Which I assume for inland waters, (can't remember the letter and I am not looking it up) its a self certification. ie. you tell them its done to the correct standard just like all the major boat fitters do.

Not only that but if the OP doesn't intend selling, then it matters even less.

He can do what he likes provided it passes BSS.