Window advice please

mbtmbt

Featured Posts

You need new pieces of toughened or laminated glass. You may be able to just slot in the hopper piece, but for the bottom section, fitting this will involve removing and partially dismantling the window frame. It may need new rubber seals as well.

Not something you can do on the towpath, especially if you are in an area where people do this sort of thing.

A piece of 6mm laminated glass may fit in the top hopper. I have a stained glass window with genuine leaded glass that I made in my top hopper and the lead thickness is 5mm. The laminated glass can be bought from a glazier. Can be edged to take off the sharp edges.

Broken bottom pane needs the whole window removing from the boat and separating and a cardboard/thin plywood template made and tested for size and then taken to the glazier who can cut it and get it toughened. Most likely 4mm glass. Horrid thing to happen.

If you replace the whole window beware that the radius at the bottom corners can be different. You can weld filler pieces in the corners to the shell. I know this because I was talking to a painter and his customer had just bought replacement windows for a wide beam and he said it happens all the time. The widows look perfect until you try to fit them in the boat

Hope you get sorted soon

Consider Polycarbonate instead of glass. It is easy to cut and shape, comes in many thicknesses. Tough but can be scratched and goes cloudy after a long while.

Or even cheaper, but not as tough, acrylic sheet, commonly called "Perspex".

Measure how thick the original glass was, you need the same thickness for the lower pane. The top one is a loose insert, not critical.