Removal of Window Catch

MickH

Featured Posts

Hi
Some these catches are scraping on the glass, so need to replace them.
 Can you please advise how to remove them. As they just keep rotating, when I hold the outside with a pair of mole grips I cannot turn the screw, its as if they are glued. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated 
Regards
Mick

4A99CD0B-A1C6-4E25-B146-FDD4456371AA.jpeg

The screws do not look rusted, I have a feeling they have been secured with glue as they just won’t budge. Obviously I have to be careful the glass does not get broken 

You can buy the catches from Black Country Metal Works

Drill the head off the screw.  Use a drill about the same size as the head  and get a friend to hold the outside part of the catch still  with some mole grips.  Locate the drill in  the centre of the screw recess and go steadily.

Once the head is off the screw the inside part should pull off.  You may need to twist  the catch while holding the outside part in order to free things up.

N

• Greenie 1

No Graham it just a smooth end, tried gripping that with mole grips but to no avail. I am going to try WD40 and hope it gets down to the screw thread failing that will try heating the screw head up, fingers crossed one of them works

1 minute ago, MickH said:

failing that will try heating the screw head up

How are you going to heat the screw head without risking cracking the glass?

Since you have new catches, wrecking the old ones isn't a problem, so you would be much better drilling out or cutting off.