Spare outboard - too many choices

Jerry Rhum

Featured Posts

31 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Mine was 8:1 ex factory but I bought a new needle for the carb that allowed it to run on 10:1. Still smoked though.

Older ones were 8:1 (or 10:1) , then they made some modifications to allow it to run very 'lean' at 25:1 (all othe 2-strokes of the time were at 50:1

When I was running one it cost more in oil (per hour) than it did in petrol.

So just to make things more complicated, those of you that suggested not giving up on the MD1 just yet may be on to something.

A bit of 'percussive maintenance' managed to move this

image.jpeg.a196541d4ac925d389ab1c8e0e37ad87.jpeg

to here

image.jpeg.f742547c97dd3ba02c5c43514a2b37d6.jpeg

and a go with the wire brush cleaned this

image.jpeg.7c1111128ea5453ba4b9eb62e3d60e07.jpeg

up to this

image.jpeg.1c2f1a4d32d0878640ba556d984ba887.jpeg

I've got plenty of other things to work on first, but maybe getting the diesel engine working again could be a long term goal.

10 minutes ago, Jerry Rhum said:

So just to make things more complicated, those of you that suggested not giving up on the MD1 just yet may be on to something.

A bit of 'percussive maintenance' managed to move this

image.jpeg.a196541d4ac925d389ab1c8e0e37ad87.jpeg

to here

image.jpeg.f742547c97dd3ba02c5c43514a2b37d6.jpeg

and a go with the wire brush cleaned this

image.jpeg.7c1111128ea5453ba4b9eb62e3d60e07.jpeg

up to this

image.jpeg.1c2f1a4d32d0878640ba556d984ba887.jpeg

I've got plenty of other things to work on first, but maybe getting the diesel engine working again could be a long term goal.

I think Tony said that black lever is the decompressor. So, the next step would be to try and turn the engine over manually to see if its seized.

41 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I think Tony said that black lever is the decompressor. So, the next step would be to try and turn the engine over manually to see if its seized.

It is, but I think the OP has now set it to decompress, so if it was just compression preventing him turning it over before it might now turn, but I don't think it is likely.

I think I am causing confusion because the picture is tilted to the right. I'm not sure why, but whenever I upload a photo the website sets it to landscape??

The lever was horizontal but is now vertical. I am going to download an MD1 manual and try and figure out what everything does.

7 minutes ago, Jerry Rhum said:

I think I am causing confusion because the picture is tilted to the right. I'm not sure why, but whenever I upload a photo the website sets it to landscape??

The lever was horizontal but is now vertical. I am going to download an MD1 manual and try and figure out what everything does.

I will tell you what it is supposed to do. The lever is attached to a shaft across inside the rocker cover. There is an adjustable "ball" or pin fitted into this shaft so as you turn the lever to vertical the ball or pin pushes a valve slightly open so the engine can't compress the air enough to ignite the fuel.

• Greenie 1