Burton Waters

Cmseasman1

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

From Burton waters - yes but you'll need to have the leg- trim set pretty high as when I was there last I was 'in the bottom' at 3 feet (the F33 is 3' 1") so you'll be ploughing the bottom - do you have a keel band fitted ?

It will be like this

image.png.e3c3cec082a457a008fb1cd5c962fb42.png

image.png.424c36787879665fee1a6e45947961e6.png

9 minutes ago, MartynG said:

It will be like this

image.png.e3c3cec082a457a008fb1cd5c962fb42.png

image.png.424c36787879665fee1a6e45947961e6.png

Very similar to my own Fairline (but yours is a bit younger)

I think my draft (excluding drives) may have been deeper than yours (you are obviously not at planing speed on the Foss-Ditch)

A2.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think my draft (excluding drives) may have been deeper than yours (you are obviously not at planing speed on the Foss-Ditch)

The outdrives are deeper than the hull

I have my depth alarm set at 4ft depth from the water surface and have it turned off on the Fossditch as it would be sounding  frequently. It was the same with the S23  we had previously.

The cooling water intakes picked up debris leading to overheating on more than one occasion . 

I have only had one overheat on the Trent since 2008 and that was in 2022 .  The impeller had to be changed following that overheat . It was a cheap impeller which I will not be buying again.

The water depth can become very shallow on the Trent of course but that tends to be in isolated spots and drought conditions.

The stretch of the Trent we like the least is between Torksey and Cromwell due to the potential for shallow water.

Below Torksey  never have any issues other than one time the tide was late.

The non tidal river is usually okay regarding depth although there has been silting below  some of the locks on some years after winter floods .

47 minutes ago, MartynG said:

The water depth can become very shallow on the Trent of course but that tends to be in isolated spots and drought conditions.

The stretch of the Trent we like the least is between Torksey and Cromwell due to the potential for shallow water.

The non tidal river is usually okay regarding depth although there has been silting below  some of the locks on some years after winter floods .

C&RTs own dredging 'rules' (manual) states that the Trent must be maintained to a minimum of (2 metres but it is not - I have grounded in the MNC, and not just in dry Summers, and not just 'cutting corners' (such as the gravel bar extending across the river a 100 yards downstram of Farndon Marina)

Extract from C&RT "Dredging Standards"

The MNC should be dredged to :

River Trent - 2. Meadow Lane Lock to Cromwell River   11.00 x 2.00      
River Trent - 3. Cromwell to Gainsborough River   12.00 x 1.80      

4 hours ago, MartynG said:

The outdrives are deeper than the hull

I have my depth alarm set at 4ft depth from the water surface and have it turned off on the Fossditch as it would be sounding  frequently. It was the same with the S23  we had previously.

The cooling water intakes picked up debris leading to overheating on more than one occasion . 

I have only had one overheat on the Trent since 2008 and that was in 2022 .  The impeller had to be changed following that overheat . It was a cheap impeller which I will not be buying again.

There has been a lot of silting below the locks on the Trent the last few years.

Last time we went up in 2020 we ran aground at Stoke despite being well within the buoyed channel supposedly marking the bar. We were chatting to one of the tug drivers who had been doing the dredging works there are he reckoned as quick as they were moving it, it was coming back. They need to remove the gravel and silt not just move it around.

Last year when we parked at Hazelford there were people walking on the bar that had appeared below the lock. They were not even ankle deep in water!

A boat with 3ft draft on the Fossdyke really shouldn't have too many problems. Ours was 3ft and most of the time we travelled with the drive trimmed to 0 so in the down position. The middle of the ditch is deeper that the edges as with any canal. Stray too far over and you will run into the silt with your inside leg. Ours was a single drive centrally located so we probably had more scope for moving closer to the edge than a twin engined boat.

Lift your legs coming into the moorings, or at least the inner most one.

51 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

There has been a lot of silting below the locks on the Trent the last few years.

Last time we went up in 2020 we ran aground at Stoke despite being well within the buoyed channel supposedly marking the bar. 

Last year when we parked at Hazelford there were people walking on the bar that had appeared below the lock. They were not even ankle deep in water!

No problem at Hazelford in 2022 and we did get through in 2021.

I have avoided Stoke Lock but had assumed the problem had been resolved.

The silting is caused by flooding in winter. River levels have been up a bit this winter but nothing serious. 

20 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Last time we went up in 2020 we ran aground at Stoke despite being well within the buoyed channel supposedly marking the bar. We were chatting to one of the tug drivers who had been doing the dredging works there are he reckoned as quick as they were moving it, it was coming back. They need to remove the gravel and silt not just move it around.

A boat with 3ft draft on the Fossdyke really shouldn't have too many problems. Ours was 3ft and most of the time we travelled with the drive trimmed to 0 so in the down position. The middle of the ditch is deeper that the edges as with any canal. Stray too far over and you will run into the silt with your inside leg. Ours was a single drive centrally located so we probably had more scope for moving closer to the edge than a twin engined boat.

Lift your legs coming into the moorings, or at least the inner most one.

Raises interesting questions about very long term strategies. Of course, we all want the navigation channel to be maintained but where is the material that has to be removed keep coming from? If it is removed from the river then presumably the longer term impact is gradually to enlarge the channel and remove land from the adjoining owner. I recall reading  somewher4 that this is how the northern canals, such as Aire and Calder, were enlarged - by surreptitious dredging!

A 'conservative' (or conservation) view would be that the material should be retained within the curtilage of the property, as it were. Hence, 'moving it around' is only what nature keeps doing to us. An alternative view is that the 'right of navigation' should be preserved at all costs and that interests other than those of navigators should be subservient.

I suspect that we have little public agreement on the priorities, any more than on the canals, so a situation ripe for confrontation rather than cooperation . . . 

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Raises interesting questions about very long term strategies. Of course, we all want the navigation channel to be maintained but where is the material that has to be removed keep coming from? If it is removed from the river then presumably the longer term impact is gradually to enlarge the channel and remove land from the adjoining owner. I recall reading  somewher4 that this is how the northern canals, such as Aire and Calder, were enlarged - by surreptitious dredging!

A 'conservative' (or conservation) view would be that the material should be retained within the curtilage of the property, as it were. Hence, 'moving it around' is only what nature keeps doing to us. An alternative view is that the 'right of navigation' should be preserved at all costs and that interests other than those of navigators should be subservient.

I suspect that we have little public agreement on the priorities, any more than on the canals, so a situation ripe for confrontation rather than cooperation . . . 

If the Trent is to remain navigable then CRT have to make some decisions as to what they long term strategy is.

Shifting muck around clearly isn't working.

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

where is the material that has to be removed keep coming from? 

It could be scoured from the low  side of the weir then  deposited just below the lock where the water is slack. 

I guess there is an element of material being washed over the weirs 

20 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

If the Trent is to remain navigable then CRT have to make some decisions as to what they long term strategy is.

Shifting muck around clearly isn't working.

I can understand the shifting muck approach

There is no land based plant or road transport involved nor any disposal of the possibly contaminated dredgings. 

I have not been aware of issues in 2022 although I did not go further upstream than Gunthorpe. 

Some dredging was allegedly done in early 2022.

There has been some higher water this winter as usual but nothing that might be considered flooding. It remains to be seen whether there are any depth issues in 2023.

• 11 months later...
On 29/01/2023 at 17:15, Naughty Cal said:

You can get to Lincoln and there are moorings just before Brayford Pool and in Brayford Pool at Lincoln that you will be able to use with an F33 you just won't be able to access the Witham through Lincoln.

You may find your options for weekend cruising a tad limited but I guess you are used to that being on a lake.

We enjoyed our time at Burton Waters. We were there for 13 years. But we had more cruising options being able to use the Witham and access the sea both ways.

Personally I wouldn't keep an F33 on the Fossdyke. If you want to stay inland only the Trent is a good option but also somewhere like Goole which has easy access to inland and tidal Waters. 

Hi, i saw your video on youtube of naughty-cal going under the bridges through Lincoln, just wondering what your air draught is/was (you sold her now?) with the canopy up

47 minutes ago, Ds03 said:

Hi, i saw your video on youtube of naughty-cal going under the bridges through Lincoln, just wondering what your air draught is/was (you sold her now?) with the canopy up

@Naughty Cal

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Ds03 said:

It was a shade under 9ft with the Hoods up.

We sold her a few years ago now back in Feb 2021. 

(Blimey, how time flies!)

Edited by Naughty Cal

43 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

It was a shade under 9ft with the Hoods up.

We sold her a few years ago now back in Feb 2021. 

(Blimey, how time flies!)

i should be fine then.

thanks