Alde 2928 Circulation Pump replacement

Ewan123

Featured Posts

We need a replacement circulation pump but I can't find what I believe to be the correct one in stock anywhere. We have:

Boiler: Alde Comfort 2928 9.04

Pump: 2928-433 (can't find this to purchase anywhere)

Alternative pump(?) which is available: 2928-420

Does anyone know whether the 2928-420 and 2928-433 are interchangable/ whether the 420 would fit ours?

Our expansion tank looks like this one: https://www.alde.co.uk/our-products/expansion-tank-with-short-connecting-pipe/?from-search=expansion tank

Which, going by the Alde website, only the 433 definitely fits: https://www.alde.co.uk/our-products/circulation-pump-with-screw-plinth/?from-search=circulation pump

I've asked Alde directly as well, waiting to see whether they get back to me so figured I'd try you lot too!

I found this from one vendor:

The Alde Compact circulation pump has many advantages over conventional inline devices. It draws just 0.2 A electric current, running off 12 V electricity, and is near silent. Installed on a 22 mm aluminium heating circuit it is capable of heating even the largest motorhomes, caravans, boats and portable cabins. For use with Alde 3000 and 3010 Compact boiler.

(amp connector)

• Alde wet heating compact circulation pump compact 3000/1 - model
  • 25 cm overall length
  • 12 volt
  • Includes Push Plug Connector

So at frst sight it seems not because it is for a 3000 series boiler - the modern one, BUT

if you can measure the length of the 2000 series on and it is close to 250mm (I don't know for sure, but I would expect that to be the black bit, not the motor) there is a chance it will fit but you may have to change the plug on the wires. However at around £120 it is porbbaly best to await Alde's reply.

What has failed. If it is the motor I think you could source a generic one, lots to choose from on line.

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I found this from one vendor:

The Alde Compact circulation pump has many advantages over conventional inline devices. It draws just 0.2 A electric current, running off 12 V electricity, and is near silent. Installed on a 22 mm aluminium heating circuit it is capable of heating even the largest motorhomes, caravans, boats and portable cabins. For use with Alde 3000 and 3010 Compact boiler.

(amp connector)

• Alde wet heating compact circulation pump compact 3000/1 - model
  • 25 cm overall length
  • 12 volt
  • Includes Push Plug Connector

So at frst sight it seems not because it is for a 3000 series boiler - the modern one, BUT

if you can measure the length of the 2000 series on and it is close to 250mm (I don't know for sure, but I would expect that to be the black bit, not the motor) there is a chance it will fit but you may have to change the plug on the wires. However at around £120 it is porbbaly best to await Alde's reply.

What has failed. If it is the motor I think you could source a generic one, lots to choose from on line.

Interesting, thanks. 

It hasn't actually failed yet, it's more that I want to have a spare within hand's reach as it's the main thing that might fail in our stove-backboiler-radiator system (which just uses the Alde as header tank and pump). It is rather noisy though so a new one would probably also be nice, I reckon this one is pretty old (the old would then be the backup). I did find a thread on here that suggested the noise might just be a bearing in the motor that's worn away. My searching for just the motor online only got as far as searching for the existing motor (Premotec/Allied Motion 9904-120-18105) and I couldn't find any readily for sale. I'm not bright enough/don't trust myself to guess at an equivalent either (hence this whole thread really)!

I know pothers here have reservations but others have used 12V solar water pups from solar hot water systems or ones that circulate the coolant when certain car engines are cooling down with success, but you would have to plumb it into  a suitable pipe run.

32 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I know pothers here have reservations but others have used 12V solar water pups from solar hot water systems or ones that circulate the coolant when certain car engines are cooling down with success, but you would have to plumb it into  a suitable pipe run.

That might make for a good project - it does seem like I'd be less reliant on the specific Alde bits and we never actually fire it up anyway (I understand they're pretty thirsty for gas).

37 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

We used to take the Alde pump out and use an inline Johnson Mouse pump instead as they lasted longer. They are also mag-drive, so won't ever leak.

Edited by Rose Narrowboats

3 hours ago, Ewan123 said:

Interesting, thanks. 

It hasn't actually failed yet, it's more that I want to have a spare within hand's reach as it's the main thing that might fail in our stove-backboiler-radiator system (which just uses the Alde as header tank and pump). It is rather noisy though so a new one would probably also be nice, I reckon this one is pretty old (the old would then be the backup). I did find a thread on here that suggested the noise might just be a bearing in the motor that's worn away. My searching for just the motor online only got as far as searching for the existing motor (Premotec/Allied Motion 9904-120-18105) and I couldn't find any readily for sale. I'm not bright enough/don't trust myself to guess at an equivalent either (hence this whole thread really)!

I see you say you just have the back boiler and just turn on the pump does this work well as people have allway say not great so I have not tryed myself as yet

32 minutes ago, Feeby100 said:

I see you say you just have the back boiler and just turn on the pump does this work well as people have allway say not great so I have not tryed myself as yet

To be honest I don't have experience of anything different to compare, but it seems to work fine - hot water gets circulated to the radiators. We turn the pump on using the Alde's room thermostat - there's a pipe thermostat which doesn't work that I might replace so that the pump can kick in automatically once the water in the back boiler is hot enough.

Edited by Ewan123
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Ewan123 said:

Interesting, thanks. 

Our Alde pump started to make a noise, from the top motor bearing, if you put your finger on the rotating end, the noise stopped.

As a cure I put a very small drop of oil on the bearing.  Small as in much as was on the tip of a shaken cocktail stick, think smear of oil not drop.

Bod

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, Ewan123 said:

To be honest I don't have experience of anything different to compare, but it seems to work fine - hot water gets circulated to the radiators. We turn the pump on using the Alde's room thermostat - there's a pipe thermostat which doesn't work that I might replace so that the pump can kick in automatically once the water in the back boiler is hot enough.

I've one of these with a pipe sensor fitted turns on and off when required. https://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Laing-D5-Pump-12V-D5-Vario-12-IG_48285.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA1sucBhDgARIsAFoytUuZzSajEHU0SnTTLZRhsLyAr49EfYUYMrCRUCyg-RX11H4dyeFxZZgaAirWEALw_wcB

Just now, Jon57 said:

Same as the jabasco 

37 minutes ago, Bod said:

Our Alde pump started to make a noise, from the top motor bearing, if you put your finger on the rotating end, the noise stopped.

As a cure I put a very small drop of oil on the bearing.  Small as in much as was on the tip of a shaken cocktail stick, think smear of oil not drop.

Bod

That did help ours for a while too, not so much now though.

1 hour ago, Ewan123 said:

Ok so no problem with the water boiling etc into exspansion tank (header tank in boiler ) ? 

18 hours ago, Feeby100 said:

Ok so no problem with the water boiling etc into exspansion tank (header tank in boiler ) ? 

Only if I forget to switch the pump on :) so long as there are enough radiators in the system to radiate the heat generated by the stove, I don't see why that would be an issue. The pump moves the water the system effectively.

It does mean we don't have proper redundancy, e.g. if the Alde pump dies then we can't use the stove OR the Alde for heating. Which is why I'm getting the spare pump.

Response from Alde:

"2928 420 is the newer replacement for 2928 433", they confirmed that they are interchangeable. 😃

Edited by Ewan123
  • Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Ewan123 said:

Only if I forget to switch the pump on :) so long as there are enough radiators in the system to radiate the heat generated by the stove, I don't see why that would be an issue. The pump moves the water the system effectively.

It does mean we don't have proper redundancy, e.g. if the Alde pump dies then we can't use the stove OR the Alde for heating. Which is why I'm getting the spare pump.

Response from Alde:

"2928 420 is the newer replacement for 2928 433", they confirmed that they are interchangeable. 😃

many thanks for that. It will be useful for a great many boaters.