computer-internet etc on board

bullet

Featured Posts

Can someone help me out here - Imagine you are describing how to set up a lap top computer to get on the internet from your narrowboat, and the "student" (me) does not understand all the computer speak/abbreviations. I need to know what mobile phone, provider, phone "package", lap top name. lap top package etc needs to be in place to be able to access the internet, and send/receive emails. Plain English would be perfect!! I do use a lap top at home but couldn't tell you how it is set up. Thanks a million for all the advice I am going to receive.

bullet

Welcome to the forum, have you tried a 'search' (top right) for 'internet' it has been discussed many times.

If the answers are not there do add a question to an existing thread or come back to this one.

You have the laptop you need a phone or modem, buy a package from a phone company and they will give the directions for setting it up.

As to which package is best will depend on many things, cost and usage are the start.

Good luck

Can someone help me out here - Imagine you are describing how to set up a lap top computer to get on the internet from your narrowboat, and the "student" (me) does not understand all the computer speak/abbreviations. I need to know what mobile phone, provider, phone "package", lap top name. lap top package etc needs to be in place to be able to access the internet, and send/receive emails. Plain English would be perfect!! I do use a lap top at home but couldn't tell you how it is set up. Thanks a million for all the advice I am going to receive.

Hi Bullet and welcome.

I think the biggest problem out there is that there is so much choice available.

Most of the mobile phone providers seem to do some form of tinternet access either via the phone as the modem or by a stand alone modem which mean the phone isnt used.

As for laptops, again you are just spoilt for choice depending on your budget.

Best to visit a dedicated store such as pissy world and talk over with them what you want the laptop to do, such as play the latest games, mutlimedia etc or just to access the net.

I personally use T-Mobile's Web & Walk which comes with a Modem and USB cable. No CD to insert and try and intall, all you do is plug the modem into the laptop using the USB cable provided and after a minute or two the computer tells you its ready to rock and roll. Its never failed to connect and am very happy with the download speed.

The only problem you may have is the signal strength and type of signal in your area or area that you are currently cruising when you want to log on. This will affect your connection speed.

Lots of folk on here use various packages from the phone companies so either wait for replies or do a search for previous topics

Then get yourself down to the phone shops and see what deal will be best for your pocket

I got my Web n Walk plus new Mac notebook last week in readiness for our move (which will surely happen soon - damn those slowcoach solicitors) and have tried it out in various locations from the L&L and even Bowness on Windermere this weekend.

It was a no-brainer to install and T-Mobile's techies were on hand to quickly solve the minor problem I had with the set-up. All for £20 a month with no real download limit (not many people would manage to get through 3 gig). Cheaper than my home broadband which I've now cancelled.

I also have WnW on my mobile for £7 a month which seemed like a good idea at the time, but in practice the phone's screen is so tiny and many (including CW) websites aren't geared up to small screens as regards page layout. I did manage to login (I think) but was unable to find out how to post in the forums.

I got my Web n Walk plus new Mac notebook last week in readiness for our move (which will surely happen soon - damn those slowcoach solicitors) and have tried it out in various locations from the L&L and even Bowness on Windermere this weekend.

It was a no-brainer to install and T-Mobile's techies were on hand to quickly solve the minor problem I had with the set-up. All for £20 a month with no real download limit (not many people would manage to get through 3 gig). Cheaper than my home broadband which I've now cancelled.

I also have WnW on my mobile for £7 a month which seemed like a good idea at the time, but in practice the phone's screen is so tiny and many (including CW) websites aren't geared up to small screens as regards page layout. I did manage to login (I think) but was unable to find out how to post in the forums.

Thanks everyone who spent time advising me on this never ending subject. I will be going for the Web n Walk set up.

Questions - With this set up do you still need an internet service provider and/or a new e-mail address ??? Does this work ok on your home PC as well as your lap top ?? Many thanks --- tosher

Hi there, I got a Googlemail account and I've set it up to download to both my laptop (- via outlook) and my blackberry as well. Instructions to set this up are all there on the gmail website. You won't need an ISP.

If you want an invite, (gmail is invite only) send us your email address via p.m.

The new datacards are plug n' play. They are very easy to install! Theres no disc because the set up is inside the datcard. Yes it will work on your home pc because it's usb. I take mine to my mothers' house when I vist her, she only has dial up - this way I can get broadband.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[easy peasy]

ordered web and walk flext 25 online £32 a month..blackberry arrived within 3 days..rang tmobile they talked me through the installation..now i sinply plug my blackberry into my laptop (or access the interent on the phone and emails are also sent to the phone) click on the blackberry icon that appears when the laptop is switched on and i'm online in seconds!!! package also includes £60 worth of texts/calls - more than happy with the connection speed. as my business is internet based and i NEED this to work it isnt just a plaything- it has to work and stay connected or i'd be wageless!..i'd recommend this for ease of use and connectability.

Callunna - I am conscious of grandmothers and eggs but have you tried using the Lo-Fi version of CWF when accessing by phone? It can be used by clicking on that option at the bottom of each page (other than the Home Page for some reason) and loads faster and may be easier to read on a small screen. I think you may have tried this as you say you couldn't find out how to post - I don't think you can with Lo-Fi! No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong.