Oxford Mooring and Sightseeing

NewCanalBoy

Featured Posts

I'm currently in Thrupp so heading to Oxford from the north.

I found this thread which is useful so I thought I would include it in case anybody finds this thread in the future, this is about approaching from the south -

It looks like there are moorings at Wolvercote Junction and Aristotle Lane 48 hr.

Then you get to Isis lock - looking at an aerial view there are some boats moored past there down to what looks like a dead end ? Are these long term moorings or visitor moorings or best to avoid moorings ?!

Reason I am going into Oxford is to show my aunt around, one of her son's use to live there so shes use to seeing it from the land so to speak. She wanted to see it from the water as well.

I assume after I have gone through Isis lock and Sheepwash Jnc you turn left and then travel south ? 

I read something about Port Meadow and a great or historic view but can't find the link again. Is it worth turning around and then heading north for a bit up the Thames towards Godstow ?

Before you get to Isis lock there are good 48 hour visitor moorings on the right hand side (towpath side) in Jericho. There are also about two 48 hour visitor moorings at the end of the dead end after you pass Isis lock. But unless you are under about 35ft you can't turn so have to reverse there or back again.

Yes, you turn left to go south on the Thames. If you don't have a Gold Licence you'll have to buy an EA licence at the first staffed lock you come to on the Thames.

Also there are good moorings on the Thames above Osney Lock but you might have to pay the lock keeper.

I have said it before, I find the canal in Oxford rather grim, and avoid it by using Dukes Cut.  If you have not been down it from Dukes Cut junction to Isis lock then of course make your own mind up about it, there are a reasonable number of visitor moorings just before Isis lock opposite the hire base so that would be where to stop before you go on the Thames.

On the Thames the East Street moorings above Onsey lock are OK and I rather like the pub on the corner there, but the food is vegetarian if that’s a problem, but it was nice last week.

We are currently heading back up the Thames for the Oxford canal and back to Napton, possibly we will stop on East St moorings again, or Kings lock, or between Kings Lock and Eynsham lock, before going back via Dukes Cut.

Port Meadow is a massive open view, but be very careful of the depth, it is even lower than normal, stay well over to the left when going upstream.

Edited by john6767

20 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

It looks like you can head north on the Thames, go to Godstow Lock, then North Dukes cut to Wolvercote junction (then back to Thrupp) is that correct ?

Yes - done it many times

The trip along Port Meadow is 'beautiful' , but there's nowhere to moor as the banks are very shallow, thus the East Street moorings are your best bet. Eveb with the pub nearby anhd the A38 ober the bridge, these moorings are quiet and it's easy and quick to walk into the centre of Oxford via the main rouad or the quieter side streets.

If you're minded a walk through the colleges is well worth the effort - which most folks miss as they go through the shopping area.

You can visit many of the colleges.

Not to be missed are the three museums.

Edited by OldGoat

23 minutes ago, pearley said:

We've moored in the past downstream of Folly Bridge. Is that not possible now?

You might be lucky and find a spot there, but that area is rammed with CM’ers all the way down past the boat houses to where the pub is.