Self-declared "private mooring"

Puffling

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, enigmatic said:

Since there have been boats on the Calveley end-of-garden moorings when I've passed, I'd assume they were completely legit. Otherwise it's basically a "dear CRT, this boat is here all the time. please issue an enforcement notice against it" message.

Don't really see the benefit to bothering Mr River Dance though. I'm actively encouraged by official signs to breast up at certain popular visitor moorings, but wouldn't make a point of breasting up to the guy who asked me not to, especially not with other space usually available.

If CRT want to go chasing him for fees for his private mooring - assuming it isn't still paid for - that's another story...

Its an odd one I think. 

It’s petty, spiteful and possibly illegal of Mr River Dance to put up the signs in the first place.
But the signs seem to be having the opposite effect,  rather than discourage boaters to moor there they seem to encourage boaters to make a challenge. 

If Mr River Dance had no signs I think any boater would not bother mooring there because a) there’s loadsa space and b) who wants to be looking in on each other?

Unless, of course, it actually is a private mooring and he pays for it even though he hasn't a boat. There are loads of towpath private moorings on the system, and no way of knowing if they really are authorised by CRT. One assumes they are, but who knows without phoning up and asking, which does seem a bit over the top.

23 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Unless, of course, it actually is a private mooring and he pays for it even though he hasn't a boat. There are loads of towpath private moorings on the system, and no way of knowing if they really are authorised by CRT. One assumes they are, but who knows without phoning up and asking, which does seem a bit over the top.

I think if this was the case he would have mentioned it.

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Correct. I had one for a couple of years at Stockton on the northern GU , but every time I went off cruising someone had removed the Permitted mooring notice when I got back. I am pretty certain who was removing it, but was never able to prove it. After a couple of years of harrassment, I managed to get an offside private mooring at Wigrams.