PRM 120 output seal

Featured Posts

Stocking costs push up prices.  The stock a manufacturer keeps is an asset to the business and as such attracts tax every year.

Then there is the capitol loss by not getting interest on the money, storage costs, labour costs, old stock right off cost etc.

I think myself lucky these days that there are any spares held in stock for anything. 

Bearing and seal suppliers are stocking products and presumably having the same stock/cost issues, so how can they sell for a 1/4 of the price as OE?

1 hour ago, jonesthenuke said:

We had a leak on our PRM500. I was pleasantly surprised when Calcutts sold me a set of gaskets and seals for less than the price quoted by PRM directly - and no postage charges.

Unfortunately Calcutt only had a seal/gasket kit, but I agree, keen prices.

Just now, Musetta37 said:

Bearing and seal suppliers are stocking products and presumably having the same stock/cost issues, so how can they sell for a 1/4 of the price as OE?

Because the seal is a generic item used in all sorts of equipment so they have a much higher turnover than a marine outlet. How many gearboxes do you think PRM build a week?

As well as what Tony B correctly asays,

There are many quality levels of bearings and seals. Nearly all are made in thecsame factories in Asia but good stuff like RHP or SKF is made to high engineering  standards and the brands keep a team on-site to make sure they get quality. Lesser stuff is marketed, on line generally,  as 'budget brands'.   As an example I recently bought a replacement  thrust bearing MJ 3 1/2.  Big, deep groove ball bearing.  RHP branded.  Cost me over £300.  Available (no brand) on  line for about £50.  It lives buried in the bowels of the engine and takes a day's work just to get at.  I paid the premium for RHP because it works hard and I want this one to last thirty years like its predecessor. (Which is OK and in stock as an emergency spare.)

OTOH, all the bearings in the speed and gear controls are budget ones.  I can change these easily, they dont work hard and I can cope if one fails.

So PRM as OEM fit and sell good quality stuff, because warranty claims are expensive to fix, the reputational damage is high and the general hassle is a PITA. They charge full retail for spares, so as not to compete on price with their customers.  Calcutt etc. get a trade price for spares and they can pick their own margin up to and over full retail if they think the market will hear it..

N

Edited by BEngo

• 1 year later...
15 minutes ago, paulsolosailor said:

I am looking for a replacement breather for my PRM 120. PRM have told me that the part number is CP1505S/A does anyone know a UK stockiest please 

Calcutt Marina?  ASAP?  Or even PRM Newage in Coventry, the makers.

I suppose someone stood on yours, happens a lot!

If PRM can no longer supply one, I would take it out to find out what thread it uses and then get plumbers fittings to fit an open-ended copper tube with the top bent through 180 degrees, so water can't get in. I would think 3mm / 1/8" bore tube would do. I have seen many gearboxes with broken breathers, and they do not seem to come to harm. You just have to let the pressure out as the box warms up to stop it blowing a seal, and then let air back in when it cools down.

The length of the tube depends upon how high you want the open end, and that depends upon how likely and how badly you think the area may be flooded.