Canal Drained

spoodge

Featured Posts

"Remember how important it was to keep the bloody Poles out in 1940?"

I think some of us have a rather tenuous grasp of history.

Yes, you are right, some folks may be thinking "HA! look at ol' Snibs dunno his Poles from his Germans" others may remember the RAF's squadrons of Polish pilots who chopped down more of the luftwaffe than the home grown pilots and see the irony in my statement.

Yes, you are right, some folks may be thinking "HA! look at ol' Snibs dunno his Poles from his Germans" others may remember the RAF's squadrons of Polish pilots who chopped down more of the luftwaffe than the home grown pilots and see the irony in my statement.

So they shud, we went to help them and they repay us by draining our canals and eating our fish.

September 1939:- Britain and France formally declare war on Germany on 3rd September, following Germany's invasion of Poland.

Children evacuated from major British cities from beginning of September.

England needed a win to qualify for the 1974 World Cup in West Germany when the Poles visited Wembley. Poland took the lead before an Allan Clarke penalty threw England a lifeline. Despite laying siege to the Poland goal, England were thwarted by a combination of poor finishing, strong defending and superb goalkeeping by Jan Tomaszewski - dubbed a clown in the build-up by Brian Clough

England needed a win to qualify for the 1974 World Cup in West Germany when the Poles visited Wembley. Poland took the lead before an Allan Clarke penalty threw England a lifeline. Despite laying siege to the Poland goal, England were thwarted by a combination of poor finishing, strong defending and superb goalkeeping by Jan Tomaszewski - dubbed a clown in the build-up by Brian Clough

Something else to thank the Poles for.

Well done Croatia by the way. Now I can look forward to a summer without having a huge footballing chav-fest take over, and avoid the shame of the pond life with painted faces dragging our nations name through the dirt by their conduct abroad.

There are rumours that, if England don't qualify (now confirmed), they'd stage a home international tournament to get some revenue in for Wembley.

Glad I'm miles away from anything that resembles first class football.

If that tournament does go ahead then you will be, even if they host it in your local park. :cheers:

...England needed a win to qualify for the 1974 World Cup in West Germany when the Poles visited Wembley. Poland took the lead before an Allan Clarke penalty threw England a lifeline. Despite laying siege to the Poland goal, England were thwarted by a combination of poor finishing, strong defending and superb goalkeeping by Jan Tomaszewski - dubbed a clown in the build-up by Brian Clough

I don't believe you wrote that yourself Maverick. It sounds plagiarised to me so I'd guesss that you pasted it from some website. I can tell from the style. Nothing wrong with pasting in but to avoid the charge of plagiarisation you should in fairness credit the source. By not doing so you create the impression that you wrote it but you didn't.

Oh and regarding the Poles, they have made some impression on the world in addition to the aforementioned wartime activites. Frederic Chopin the composer for example, and Copernicus, the fifteenth century astronomer first to make a proper scientific case for the earth and planets moving round the sun and not the other way round.

Regarding boats, the Aqualine range as imported from Poland by New Boat Co. are excellent boats and great value for money. I've been on a couple and the fitout and finish internally and externally is first class, competing well with even the best made here. When price is taken into account, there is no way that a boat of comparable quality of materials and workmanship etc. could be made here for similar money.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

I don't believe you wrote that yourself Maverick. It sounds plagiarised to me so I'd guesss that you pasted it from some website. I can tell from the style. Nothing wrong with pasting in but to avoid the charge of plagiarisation you should in fairness credit the source. By not doing so you create the impression that you wrote it but you didn't.

Oh and regarding the Poles, they have made some impression on the world in addition to the aforementioned wartime activites. Frederic Chopin the composer for example, and Copernicus, the fifteenth century astronomer first to make a proper scientific case for the earth and planets moving round the sun and not the other way round.

Regarding boats, the Aqualine range as imported from Poland by New Boat Co. are excellent boats and great value for money. I've been on a couple and the fitout and finish internally and externally is first class, competing well with even the best made here. When price is taken into account, there is no way that a boat of comparable quality of materials and workmanship etc. could be made here for similar money.

regards

Steve

regards

Steve

Chopin, Copper knickers, and Aqualine Boats? Bloody hell what a nation. And visiting the internet to gather breathtaking facts like those then re-typing the facts into your own words makes you far superior to myself who copies and pastes them does it?

If I was plagerising to make a profit I could give some credit to your outburst but merely re-quoting a few football facts is hardly worth a credit to the author (who by the way wasnt credited on the site I nicked the quote from)

As for polish built boats - Like someone far more inteligent than myself has already stated on a recent thread you can hardly take your hull back to poland can you in the event of a problem? (quote acredited to:- Him who wrote it)

Edited by Maverick

As for polish built boats - Like someone far more inteligent than myself has already stated on a recent thread you can hardly take your hull back to poland can you in the event of a problem? (quote acredited to:- Him who wrote it)

Bit disingenuous, there. When your skoda goes pop, you don't have to cart it back to the Czech Republic to get it fixed. You take it to the dealer, which in the above example, would be The New Boat Co.

Oh, and I nicked all those words from the Oxford Dictionary, but the arrangement is mine own.

Edited by Nine of Hearts

The Hudds Broad was notorious for being drained by the kids but nothing these days would surprise me.

A combination of this and fish theft seems to be the case. I've e-mailed a couple of water authorities about the canal, but have yet to recieve any response.

Local chav are draining the canal, Polish chav are eating the fish ..... either way no-one seems to care enough to do anything about it. S'pose if they develop a taste for boat-owners.................... :cheers:

Chopin, Copper knickers, and Aqualine Boats? Bloody hell what a nation. And visiting the internet to gather breathtaking facts like those then re-typing the facts into your own words makes you far superior to myself who copies and pastes them does it?
I didn't have to retype from the net, I happen to know about Chopin and Copernicus. Being offensive merely accentuates your ignorance of these things. Instead of being offensive how about trying to learn a little? If you don't want to learn, that's your right, but boasting about ignorance seems an odd way to proceed.

And yes where you don't know something then I think it's acceptable to retype into your own words because then you have input something into it, small but something. But a complete paste job as you did should be credited, notwithstanding that you copied it from someone who did the same. By failing to mention originally that you copied it, two possibilities emerge. Either you didn't think to mention the fact, which wouldn't matter, or you deliberately tried to pass it off as your own, which is underhand and does matter I think. Which one is correct I can't know.

Others have answered your assertion that you can't take the boat back to Poland if there are problems. Almost every product we buy these days is manufactured abroad, frequently in China. But it not required in the event of problems that you return it to the country of manufacture. The very fact that you even consider that possibility reveals a quite amazing lack of knowledge of these things.

My point is that there is nothing wrong with ignorance provided people are willing to learn. What is wrong is that you wish to perpetuate your lack of knowledge it instead of being willing to remedy it. When someone points out that you don't actually have to return foreign goods to their country of origin in case of trouble, your answer shouldn't be blustering and offensive as though that makes you right, it never can. Instead, how about a polite thanks mate, I didn't realise that.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

I didn't have to retype from the net, I happen to know about Chopin and Copernicus. Being offensive merely accentuates your ignorance of these things. Instead of being offensive how about trying to learn a little? If you don't want to learn, that's your right, but boasting about ignorance seems an odd way to proceed.

And yes where you don't know something then I think it's acceptable to retype into your own words because then you have input something into it, small but something. But a complete paste job as you did should be credited, notwithstanding that you copied it from someone who did the same. By failing to mention originally that you copied it, two possibilities emerge. Either you didn't think to mention the fact, which wouldn't matter, or you deliberately tried to pass it off as your own, which is underhand and does matter I think. Which one is correct I can't know.

Others have answered your assertion that you can't take the boat back to Poland if there are problems. Almost every product we buy these days is manufactured abroad, frequently in China. But it not required in the event of problems that you return it to the country of manufacture. The very fact that you even consider that possibility reveals a quite amazing lack of knowledge of these things.

My point is that there is nothing wrong with ignorance provided people are willing to learn. What is wrong is that you wish to perpetuate your lack of knowledge it instead of being willing to remedy it. When someone points out that you don't actually have to return foreign goods to their country of origin in case of trouble, your answer shouldn't be blustering and offensive as though that makes you right, it never can. Instead, how about a polite thanks mate, I didn't realise that.

regards

Steve

Was I being offensive? You have obviously learned very well how to be a patronising little prat (see now thats offensive and personal) You are entitled to support the poles as much as you like I dont really give a stuff about em to be honest.

As for your request for a thanks mate A. you are not my mate. B. I wudnt want you as my mate. And C. I very much doubt you have got any mates. (Unless theyre poles of course)

Edited by Maverick

Was I being offensive? You have obviously learned very well how to be a patronising little prat (see now thats offensive and personal) You are entitled to support the poles as much as you like I dont really give a stuff about em to be honest.

As for your request for a thanks mate A. you are not my mate. B. I wudnt want you as my mate. And C. I very much doubt you have got any mates. (Unless theyre poles of course)

Why bother to post if you can't refrain from personal abuse? Seems to me you don't like sensible arguments and have to resort to this kind of stuff.

You made a number of highly inaccurate and disturbing racial remarks about not being able to return stuff to a country of origin, about Poles of whom you clearly know very little and so on, even about Polish boats of which you also clearly know very little. I and others were merely trying to show you why you may be wrong.

Responding with a stream of abuse is not a decent way to act here. I can do verbal abuse too, you don't have a monopoly on it, but what is the point of my responding in kind to you? If you wish to argue, do so in a reasonable manner, don't abuse others just because you don't like their views. Creating ill feeling with abuse is bad for the board and it's bad for relations with other boaters. I've even helped you before on some technical matter I think.

How about lightening up and forgetting all the bad mouthing you've given me?

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

Why bother to post if you can't refrain from personal abuse? Seems to me you don't like sensible arguments and have to resort to this kind of stuff.

You made a number of highly inaccurate and disturbing racial remarks about not being able to return stuff to a country of origin, about Poles of whom you clearly know very little and so on, even about Polish boats of which you also clearly know very little. I and others were merely trying to show you why you may be wrong.

Responding with a stream of abuse is not a decent way to act here. I can do verbal abuse too, you don't have a monopoly on it, but what is the point of my responding in kind to you? If you wish to argue, do so in a reasonable manner, don't abuse others just because you don't like their views. Creating ill feeling with abuse is bad for the board and it's bad for relations with other boaters. I've even helped you before on some technical matter I think.

How about lightening up and forgetting for all the bad mouthing you've given me?

regards

Steve

Steve I dont have a problem with you but you must understand that if your going to patronise someone then be prepared to get some flack back in return. You chose to start bad mouthing me first if you care to back track thru the posts a bit.

If you choose to take my comments so personally rather than tongue in cheek thats up to you. I was having a dig at the poles, the french, hirers, etc etc. Not you personally. I was not attacking a particular person as you did with me.

I cudnt agree with you more. personal attacks are not good on this forum and are totally uneccesary particually as we all share at least one thing in common.

By all means attack my views but do not call me ignorant etc unless you wish me to retaliate in kind.

I dont have a racist bone in my body. I hate poles, french, germans, scotts, hireboaters, BW, Aussies, Greeks, Spanish (particually the spanish) and a few more I wont mention incase I offend anyone.

Q. How do you sink a polish narrowboat?

A. Put it in the water.