Where to put the stove?

Jonesybach

Featured Posts

Hello one and all, the Jones clan has just bought a loverly ex hire boat from Countrycraft Narrowboats on the ever srinking Brecon & Mon. We have a million questions but half the fun is finding the answers ourselves. ODon't know what happened then, One min it was there and the next it had gone and I hadn't got to the important bit. I'll be quick before this buggers off on it's own. Want to put a boatman stove on our 45ft NB what sort of regs do I have to get my head around, such as clearance around the stove and that sort of stuff. Thanks in advance for any help you lot think I'll need.Cheers. MARK

Hello one and all, the Jones clan has just bought a loverly ex hire boat from Countrycraft Narrowboats on the ever srinking Brecon & Mon. We have a million questions but half the fun is finding the answers ourselves. ODon't know what happened then, One min it was there and the next it had gone and I hadn't got to the important bit. I'll be quick before this buggers off on it's own. Want to put a boatman stove on our 45ft NB what sort of regs do I have to get my head around, such as clearance around the stove and that sort of stuff. Thanks in advance for any help you lot think I'll need.Cheers. MARK

Help, there are more of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(;)

Hello and welcome.

There are no regs that I can think of at the moment but this subject of the spacing of a stove has come up recently on this forum. Do a search and you will find it. Due to the materials used on boats some do catch fire when a stove is working and coals do fall out. So good air gap all around and stone harth, large enough to contain hot coals and wood embers is required. Try to find a material that reflects the heat/ does not get hot around the stove to insulate the lining of the boat. There are regs regarding the exhaust chimney and opening windows. The sealing of the chimney to the stove and through the roof is also important. Ensure that you have enough fire detectors and carbon monoxide detectors on board and check them regulary. You can buy coal on the cut and cut down overhanging tree branches for fuel.

Where you actually put the stove in your boat depends on how you use the boat and whether you are going to use it for cooking. The boat layout is down to you.

Edited by Yoda

The thread yoda refers to is this one i thing : Lindy Lou Report

But yeah, its more a case of choosing the stove you want, and depending on the size/output fitting it to suit, using the installation instuctions from the supplier where possable.

- Taking care to get to close to things.

- Using fireproof board and the like to make the surround.

Otherwise you can also read up what the BSS says on stoves. Boatsafetyscheme.com/Get the Guide

Daniel

Welcome fellow Jones to the cut.

I have oft ruminated on whether its better to put the stove at the extreme end of the saloon or at the midships end of the saloon.

Presumerably the boat would heat up more evenly with a midships end stove!!

P.S Do you know this NB Bendigedig ??

http://nbbendigedig.blogspot.com/

Hi Jonesybach.

If it is a proper boatman's stove you want, then rear left is the spot. Doors pulled to behind you; hatch drawn as far as it will go and on even the coldest day, you'll be like toast whilst driving. You do want a good tall chimney though; otherwise it's smoke in the eyes if the wind is in the wrong direction.

Mike.

Hi Jonesybach.

If it is a proper boatman's stove you want, then rear left is the spot. Doors pulled to behind you; hatch drawn as far as it will go and on even the coldest day, you'll be like toast whilst driving. You do want a good tall chimney though; otherwise it's smoke in the eyes if the wind is in the wrong direction.

Mike.

Whatever you do read the preventing fire and CO2 poisoning stuff from the Boat Safety Crew. All available on the internet. From what I've heard there are increasing numbers of people either gassing themselves or setting fire to their boats accidently.

D

Whatever you do read the preventing fire and CO2 poisoning stuff from the Boat Safety Crew. All available on the internet. From what I've heard there are increasing numbers of people either gassing themselves or setting fire to their boats accidently.

D

Yes this is the arson and suicide forum. Get you info here!!

If possible, locate the stove centrally on the left hand side of the boat.

Why to the left(Port):- when two vessels meet both under power you should turn to starboard. This means your chimney will remain towards the centre of the cut rather than being entangled in bankside bushes & trees etc.

• 1 month later...
seamus63834

I used to have a trueburn range in our boaut about midships ( middle of boat ) it would heat my boat from engine room forwads to the bow of my boat and a traditional epping in my boatmans cabin. stove types boatmans and squiral are good but one of my freinds has a villager stove on his boat, its one of the best stoves i have ever seen side opening so he was able to get good sise logs into the fire and being cast iron it held onto its heat even when no flames or embers were left in the graite.

Edited by seamus63834