Dawncraft hessian window trim

Featured Posts

25 minutes ago, Bev Minshall said:

Hi All

Can anybody please help as to where we can buy u shaped hessian window trim for sliding wi dows on  Dawncrft 25ft

Thanks for any help offered, we can't source any anywhere!

I think it is a flocked rubber moulding so Seals Direct, but you will need to  measure the existing one to get a good match.

Edited by Tony Brooks

• 1 month later...

Can confirm the stuff from Seals Direct will work. Buy some 2mm polypropylene sheet to pack behind it where it doesn't sit as tightly as it should, and smear the inside with washing up liquid (discourages moss growth and helps the window slide). Make sure you poke some holes to correspond with the drain holes otherwise your windows will leak even more than they do naturally 

8 minutes ago, harrybsmith said:

Can confirm the stuff from Seals Direct will work. Buy some 2mm polypropylene sheet to pack behind it where it doesn't sit as tightly as it should, and smear the inside with washing up liquid (discourages moss growth and helps the window slide). Make sure you poke some holes to correspond with the drain holes otherwise your windows will leak even more than they do naturally 

I have  a concern about the poke some holes unless the aluminium section is a single channel. If it is a twin channel any condensation running down the inside of the pane or water leaking from outside should end up in the inner channel which usually has  holes drilled though to it from the outside. Therefore, if they are two channel frames, the flocked seal needs to be held slightly clear of the base of the channel so water can flow under it.

Not too sure because I have not seen the frames.

Edited by Tony Brooks

13 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I have  a concern about the poke some holes unless the aluminium section is a single channel. If it is a twin channel any condensation running down the inside of the pane or water leaking from outside should end up in the inner channel which usually has  holes drilled though to it from the outside. Therefore, if they are two channel frames, the flocked seal needs to be held slightly clear of the base of the channel so water can flow under it.

Not too sure because I have not seen the frames.

You are largely correct here.

Sliding windows are a pain, and getting them absolutely watertight is difficult.

Had two boats with sliding windows with two channels, both channels having drain holes in them.The inner channel's drain holes were simply drilled into the outer channel, so water that got in there drained into the outer channel.

I found it necessary to cut away a bit of the seal next to the outer channel drain holes otherwise the channels filled with water and dripped on my bedding.Even then the windows were plagued with leaks because water would fill the channels quicker than it could run out.

The fix (bodge) was to Araldite a 2 inch strip of 3mm aluminium to the bottom inside of the frame, and that allowed more water in and gave more time for it to run out.

Although water did run into the window channels, it never dripped inside.