Sometimes I wonder about myself

Featured Posts

Right here we go...

Recently had my BSS, all good and passed with flying colours, just a quiet work about the gas regulator or more specifically the tails that were looking a touch old (I paraphrase), anyway I was expecting it as the regulator is fairly ancient and was basically planning to replace the whole thing.

I've done this before and I know it's a fairly simple job, apart from the gas stink and the confined access into the locker its a simple thing to do.

Anyway done and dusted, no leaks and the oven and hob work as well as it did before I messed with it, that in my book is a win.

About a week later the hob started acting like a asthmatic 4 pack a day 90yr old, no pressure at all at the big kettle boiling ring (this is serious :) ), the other 3 were similar but they have alway been a bit lower power so it was hard to tell.

Oddly the oven and grill were fine, so I did what I do best and started catastrophising, new hob, new regulator new pipework, probably a new oven, now I haven't done this sort of work before and I get nervous about this sort of thing, so on top of the cost I was looking at I was convinced I would blow myself up

To be absolutely clear I had already cleared the burner assembly but for some reason I had another look, as a last ditch hail Mary and with a slightly calmer head than the last time noticed the tiny flake of rust half lodged in the gas nozzle and praise whatever deity deals with stupid nervous boaters and their gas installations it is back to normal.

No point to the story really, just maybe 

Guie_from_tv.jpg

• Greenie 3

35 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Right here we go...

Recently had my BSS, all good and passed with flying colours, just a quiet work about the gas regulator or more specifically the tails that were looking a touch old (I paraphrase), anyway I was expecting it as the regulator is fairly ancient and was basically planning to replace the whole thing.

I've done this before and I know it's a fairly simple job, apart from the gas stink and the confined access into the locker its a simple thing to do.

Anyway done and dusted, no leaks and the oven and hob work as well as it did before I messed with it, that in my book is a win.

About a week later the hob started acting like a asthmatic 4 pack a day 90yr old, no pressure at all at the big kettle boiling ring (this is serious :) ), the other 3 were similar but they have alway been a bit lower power so it was hard to tell.

Oddly the oven and grill were fine, so I did what I do best and started catastrophising, new hob, new regulator new pipework, probably a new oven, now I haven't done this sort of work before and I get nervous about this sort of thing, so on top of the cost I was looking at I was convinced I would blow myself up

To be absolutely clear I had already cleared the burner assembly but for some reason I had another look, as a last ditch hail Mary and with a slightly calmer head than the last time noticed the tiny flake of rust half lodged in the gas nozzle and praise whatever deity deals with stupid nervous boaters and their gas installations it is back to normal.

Guie_from_tv.jpg

So it’s not just me who catastrophises.

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Oddly the oven and grill were fine, so I did what I do best and started catastrophising, new hob, new regulator new pipework, probably a new oven,

Or most likely, a whole new boat would have been necessary, had it not been for finding that flake of rust you put there earlier.....

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Right here we go...

Guie_from_tv.jpg

It could have been worse. You could have called a 'trades person' out to sort such a thing and stick you with a bill for £200!!

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

I'd have wanted a brew after fixing the kettle ring...

Considering how vital the kettle ring is I would have made as many brews as you wanted and offered a VERY large glass of a very fine malt

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

I'd have fixed it for you for nothing.

An 'alturistic' gas safe engineer.

That has to be a first.

Just now, tree monkey said:

Despite his grumpy demeanour on here he is a very nice chap and good bloke to have a few beers with

Ill make no comment.

Glad you got it sorted, for nowt.