Huddersfield canal 'should be closed

Featured Posts

The only time we got stuck was just as we left the Slaithwaite lock leading to the narrow rebuilt section 

We juddered quietly but suddenly  to a halt, never experienced that sort of stopping before. We reversed back four times - the same. Son let some water through just made it over this obstacle. (?vol) Lockie was unimpressed with us for doing that.

However we were impressed   as a stop plank placed properly between the top of the lock entrance floated to the surface as we passed over it. There were 4 small marks on it where we had been halted. We left it to the lockie to retrieve it a)  after he had given my son some grief. b. He didn’t appear to believe us and c. there were two handles on the stop plank that would facilitate  removal 🤣 

At least some maintenance must go on🤣 , luckily too the lower gate lock wasn’t leaking….. 

4 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

The only time we got stuck was just as we left the Slaithwaite lock leading to the narrow rebuilt section 

We juddered quietly but suddenly  to a halt, never experienced that sort of stopping before. We reversed back four times - the same. Son let some water through just made it over this obstacle. (?vol) Lockie was unimpressed with us for doing that.

However we were impressed   as a stop plank placed properly between the top of the lock entrance floated to the surface as we passed over it. There were 4 small marks on it where we had been halted. We left it to the lockie to retrieve it a)  after he had given my son some grief. b. He didn’t appear to believe us and c. there were two handles on the stop plank that would facilitate  removal 🤣 

At least some maintenance must go on🤣 , luckily too the lower gate lock wasn’t leaking….. 

I’d have been tempted to salvage the stop plank. 

Which makes me wonder is it legal to claim anything floating in the water?

(I don’t want the bodies)

I think its quite common to leave the bottom stop plank in place, I assume with some sort of wedges. If this is not done then silt can be a problem and prevent the planks from sealing when they are installed....which might be in an emegency.