Mysterious leak into bilge tank, and water pump short cycling

Featured Posts

There has been a mysterious leak into the bilge tank; it started off with just a few drops a week and has recently become more. At the moment about 2 litres of water a day is trickling into the bilge tank, which I am having to pump out. I can only see it through a small viewing window in the floor. 

I have felt around all the water pipes on the boat, around the shower and the sink and can’t find a source of the leak. The water tank had a hairline crack some weeks ago which I fixed and I can’t see any more leaks in the water tank- the amount seems much more than that warrants anyway. The water leak seems to be more whenever I move the boat, but I usually fill the water tank as well when I do so there are two factors at play there. I don’t have a calorifier. Any tips for identifying the source of the water?

In recent days, the water leak amount has increased quite a bit, and at the same time my water pump has started to make a “jumping” noise every minute or so, like a loud thud. Suggests a problem with the water pressure, which could add up to there being a leak?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or ideas about what could be causing this! 

Edited by EllaGlssp

I had a water leak for years without even noticing, and when I did, thought it was nothing more than condensation build up in the bilge. 

It finally turned out to be the water leaking from a cracked original pipe from the water tank.  This pipe ran halfway up the boat, under the floor, before it came out to feed the system. Needless to say, all the pipework is now above the floor and visible. Do you have any under-floor hidden pipework? 

If it is anything to do with your water feed, it will appear worse after filling and with the increased pressure that exerts. 

Edited by Higgs

Can't be sure, but I expect the bulk of this water to end up at the rear of the boat, and stopping at a bulkhead or part of the boat's underfloor structure. Forward motion of the boat and increased incline could cause water to collect with more speed at the rear, instead of laying as surface water. 

Edited by Higgs

You do not have a calorifier, so it is unlikely to be a  PRV.  Tie bits of rag or bog roll round all the joints that might be leaking.  Even the smallest seep will give you wet rag or tissue after about 36 hours.

A leak from the water tank or the pipework before the pump will not cause the pump to short cycle, so no need to look af that.  Do check the pump itself.  They quite commonly leak from the join in the diaphragm housing.  Most people find that replacing the pump is the best solution if the housing is leaking.  Repair kits do not have a good reported success rate.

If the pump is just jumping on  for a second or so then off  it also sounds like you need to repressurize your accumulator, or fit one if it is missing.

N

Just a thought, but are you sure that it is your domestic water? If you notice it more when you move the boat, couldn't it be raw water coming through the stern gland?

If there is a stern gland greaser, try giving that a turn after moving the boat

1 hour ago, Bacchus said:

Just a thought, but are you sure that it is your domestic water? If you notice it more when you move the boat, couldn't it be raw water coming through the stern gland?

If there is a stern gland greaser, try giving that a turn after moving the boat

No I’m not sure it’s domestic! Water looks pretty clear but not fully, so could either be dirt from the bilge tank itself or could be canal water. But that would be a much bigger problem so hoping it’s not that 😕

3 minutes ago, EllaGlssp said:

No I’m not sure it’s domestic! Water looks pretty clear but not fully, so could either be dirt from the bilge tank itself or could be canal water. But that would be a much bigger problem so hoping it’s not that 😕

Assuming this is a narrow boat, is the water accumulating at the back near the prop shaft, or under the floor in the cabin bilge?

If the water pump (presumably domestic water pump) is kicking in every so often then it is most likely you have a leak somewhere in the system (it could be the pump non return valve but this would not show up in the bilge). If you don't have a calorifier with a PRV then almost certainly you have a leak some where. Check EVERY joint with with tissue - I find the stuff on large blue rolls shows the damp patches easier.

springy

11 minutes ago, EllaGlssp said:

that would be a much bigger problem

Not necessarily. If your boat is shaft driven and has a traditional "stuffing box" seal where the propshaft goes through the hull, there will always be a bit of ingress which gets progressively worse until the stuffing box needs repacking. It is usually mitigated with waterproof grease which is forced into the box with a screw-down greaser and helps to seal the junction. It is a pretty normal part of boating.

5 hours ago, EllaGlssp said:

There has been a mysterious leak into the bilge tank; it started off with just a few drops a week and has recently become more. At the moment about 2 litres of water a day is trickling into the bilge tank, which I am having to pump out. I can only see it through a small viewing window in the floor. 

I have felt around all the water pipes on the boat, around the shower and the sink and can’t find a source of the leak. The water tank had a hairline crack some weeks ago which I fixed and I can’t see any more leaks in the water tank- the amount seems much more than that warrants anyway. The water leak seems to be more whenever I move the boat, but I usually fill the water tank as well when I do so there are two factors at play there. I don’t have a calorifier. Any tips for identifying the source of the water?

In recent days, the water leak amount has increased quite a bit, and at the same time my water pump has started to make a “jumping” noise every minute or so, like a loud thud. Suggests a problem with the water pressure, which could add up to there being a leak?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or ideas about what could be causing this! 

Three questions:

1) What's a bilge tank exactly?

2) What's your water tank made of?

3) How did you fix the water tank leak?

Edited by blackrose