Boxing in

blackrose

Featured Posts

I've fitted my new Thetford toilet and christened it this morning. But it's not installed against a bulkhead as that wouldn't have worked in my bathroom. 

So I need to box in the hose at the back with something 18cm wide and about a foot high and fit the control panel into the top of that. Then also make some sort of n-shaped removable 15cm - 20cm long cover to go over the end of the cassette where it sticks out of the toilet.

What's the best material to use? White faced furniture board? Or should I just find a cheap slim bathroom wall cabinet and cut into it? I'm not much of a cabinet maker so a ready built unit that I could modify might be easier. Or any other ideas?

IMG_20220225_201355.jpg

IMG_20220225_201345.jpg

Edited by blackrose

20 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You've got a widebeam, why are you struggling to squeeze it in....just asking?

I'm not struggling to squeeze it in. I'm just trying to box in some parts. Not sure why you thought I was saying it's a problem with a lack of space?

23 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

This may do the job https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/maine-bathroom-storage-unit-355081

Move the base further up, you have some storge space as well

320036-main-storage-box.jpg

Thanks, yes I did see those bathroom storage boxes on Amazon. A couple of those might work 

Edited by blackrose

Im clearly missing something here but why didnt you fit a c260, up against a fitted bulkhead installed to the left side of the toilet? With a hatch to pull the cassette through?

Then rotate the bowl 90 degrees.

As I said in my original post, fitting it to a bulkhead isn't possible in my bathroom - at least not without some major refitting.

If you're talking about the bulkhead shown to the left of the toilet in my picture, there's a double bed up against the other side of it and I'm not going to move it or crawl under it everytime I want to get the cassette out. If you look carefully maybe you can also see a boxed in area on the floor up against the bulkhead. That contains pipes to/from the corner shower which occupies the perpendicular corridor bulkhead to the left of where the picture was taken from. It's also not possible to use the other bulkhead on the right separating the bathroom from the saloon because there's a big stove and pipework connecting to radiators in the way.

I'm not sure how the C260 would have solved any of that? Isn't it essentially the same toilet as my C263 with a higher back cistern type bulkhead fitting?

image.png.4a83ac7315aed247bc73136b0fa61e3e.png

Edited by blackrose

Here's are a couple of old pictures of the bathroom showing lack of bulkhead availability which might make things clearer.

It was originally fitted out nearly 17 years ago with a Vacuflush toilet with remote cassette (the one I've just taken out). That cassette unit was on the other side of the saloon bulkhead but connected to the toilet bowl with a 3m long 38mm ID sanitary waste pipe.

P1000291.JPG

P1000288.JPG

Edited by blackrose

7 hours ago, blackrose said:

As I said in my original post, fitting it to a bulkhead isn't possible in my bathroom - at least not without some major refitting.

If you're talking about the bulkhead shown to the left of the toilet in my picture, there's a double bed up against the other side of it and I'm not going to move it or crawl under it everytime I want to get the cassette out. If you look carefully maybe you can also see a boxed in area on the floor up against the bulkhead. That contains pipes to/from the corner shower which occupies the perpendicular corridor bulkhead to the left of where the picture was taken from. It's also not possible to use the other bulkhead on the right separating the bathroom from the saloon because there's a big stove and pipework connecting to radiators in the way.

I'm not sure how the C260 would have solved any of that? Isn't it essentially the same toilet as my C263 with a higher back cistern type bulkhead fitting?

image.png.4a83ac7315aed247bc73136b0fa61e3e.png

No I mean you construct a bulkhead specifically to fix the back of the toilet to. With a hatch in in it. The hatch is then opened and the cassette pulled out into the bathroom not on the other side of the bathroom wall/bulkhead. Though maybe the c200 would be better as it's not as tall as the c260.

The C260/200 is different from the c263 as the cassette doesn't protrude in the same way. It essentially sits entirely within the casing of the toilet. Meaning you don't have to contend with enclosing the end of the cassette and find somewhere to mount the switch panel.as you are now having to do.

The 260/200 is like the 262/263cs - you can compare here.

Thetford rear view.JPG

Edited by The Happy Nomad
Add a better pic.

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

No I mean you construct a bulkhead specifically to fix the back of the toilet to. With a hatch in in it. The hatch is then opened and the cassette pulled out into the bathroom not on the other side of the bathroom wall/bulkhead. Though maybe the c200 would be better as it's not as tall as the c260.

The C260/200 is different from the c263 as the cassette doesn't protrude in the same way. It essentially sits entirely within the casing of the toilet. Meaning you don't have to contend with enclosing the end of the cassette and find somewhere to mount the switch panel.as you are now having to do.

The 260/200 is like the 262/263cs - you can compare here.

Thetford rear view.JPG

Well I did think of making a bulkhead but in the end I decided that making a simple cover for the end of the cassette is going to be easier than making a bulkhead and more importantly it's also going to be much easier to get the cassette out without having to crawl around the back of a bulkhead. It's been thought through.

IMG_20220226_121020.jpg

Edited by blackrose

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

Well, I think making a simple cover for the end of the cassette is going to be easier than making a bulkhead and it's also going to be easier to get the cassette out without having to crawl around the back of a bulkhead.

If you think I mean you will need to crawl around doing anything then I am afraid you have completely misunderstood what I am describing. But I've tried to explain it as best I can. I have scoured the internet for a picture of what I am talking about but have failed miserably even though I have seen such an arrangement in boats.

Found another. This time a C260

Thetford toilet.JPG

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

Yes I see and I had understood, I just don't want to do that.

Fair enough then it needs something constructing.

But if that white unit next to it is not movable then the cassette will need to come outwards and upwards. Restricting your options. Unless you made something like a 'hood' that could be lifted up and out the way.

Yes, I looked at the C260 other Thetford toilets with the higher bulkhead backs but I didn't want one of those. I don't like the look of them and in my case because of my bathroom configuration I'd have to get around the back of the bulkhead to get the cassette out. I don't want a free standing bulkhead in my bathroom like the one in the picture above. I prefer the C263 without the back and no bulkhead in the way.

Edited by blackrose

7 minutes ago, blackrose said:

. It's overly complicated in terms of both building it and using it. My idea is much simpler in every way.

Sorry but I cannot agree. The simple fact is you appear to have bought the wrong toilet for the intended installation.

A simple short bulkhead would have been easy to construct compared to what you now need to do. You also need to make something to mount the switch panel. With the correct choice of loo you wouldn't need to that as it's incorporated into the casing.

30 minutes ago, blackrose said:

IMG_20220226_121020.jpg

Ah right so that cabinet does move out the way. This wasn't totally clear earlier.

Then you could permanently fit a box/hood over the cassette end that mates up to where the cabinet sits. It would need to be water resistant of course which takes me back to UPVC wall board.

25 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Sorry but I cannot agree. The simple fact is you appear to have bought the wrong toilet for the intended installation.

A simple short bulkhead would have been easy to construct compared to what you now need to do. You also need to make something to mount the switch panel. With the correct choice of loo you wouldn't need to that as it's incorporated into the casing.

Well then we will have to agree to disagree, but since it's my boat and my choice of toilet it's not the wrong toilet for my intended installation. Your suggestion would have been wrong because I don't like the look of the high back bulkhead toilet and I definitely didn't want a freestanding bulkhead inside my bathroom. I think they both look awful.

As I said in my original post, the switch panel will be mounted into the boxing-in of the hose behind the toilet. That doesn't seem overly difficult.

9 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Ah right so that cabinet does move out the way. This wasn't totally clear earlier.

Then you could permanently fit a box/hood over the cassette end that mates up to where the cabinet sits. It would need to be water resistant of course which takes me back to UPVC wall board.

I will have a look at UPVC wall board - hadn't considered that, thanks. But the cover for the end of the cassette only needs to be about 20cm wide, not all the way up to the where the cabinet sits. 

Edited by blackrose

Just now, blackrose said:

Well then we will have to agree to disagree, but since it's my boat and my choice of toilet it's not the wrong toilet for my intended installation. Your suggestion would have been wrong because I don't like the look of the high back bulkhead toilet and I definitely didn't want a freestanding bulkhead inside my bathroom. I think they both look awful.

As I said in my original post, the switch panel will be mounted into the boxing-in of the hose behind the toilet. That doesn't seem overly difficult.

Of course it is 

I'll leave you to it.

Job done. I bought two of those toilet roll storage boxes that nbfiresprite suggested from Argos for a tenner each and did a bit of cutting with a jigsaw. It's not perfect but I think it's ok. Certainly better than coming into the bathroom and being faced by an ugly bulkhead & hatch because it leaves the bathroom area open. For me it was much easier than making a bulkhead too.

The boxes are MDF so not waterproof but they're splash-proof and I'll paint the cut edges. I'm not intending for them to get soaked but if they don't last I can just buy a couple more and do the same thing in a few years time. I've got other MDF bathroom cabinets that have been in my bathroom for more than 15 years.

IMG_20220227_134152.jpg

The end of cassette cover just lifts away to get the cassette out.

IMG_20220227_132815.jpg

IMG_20220227_132908.jpg

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 4

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Job done. I bought two of those toilet roll storage boxes that nbfiresprite suggested from Argos for a tenner each and did a bit of cutting with a jigsaw. It's not perfect but I think it's ok. Certainly better than coming into the bathroom and being faced by an ugly bulkhead & hatch because it leaves the bathroom area open. For me it was much easier than making a bulkhead too.

The boxes are MDF so not waterproof but they're splash-proof and I'll paint the cut edges. I'm not intending for them to get soaked but if they don't last I can just buy a couple more and do the same thing in a few years time. I've got other MDF bathroom cabinets that have been in my bathroom for more than 15 years.

IMG_20220227_134152.jpg

The end of cassette cover just lifts away to get the cassette out.

IMG_20220227_132815.jpg

IMG_20220227_132908.jpg

Nice job. Sometimes it pay to think outside the box sort of speech. 👍😜